Light Brahma or some sort of laced Cochin??

OK here she is again at almost 8 weeks. Still the sweetest bird in the flock - so affectionate and interested in people.
I am also pretty confident she is a brahma still now. I'm going to email pics to the hatchery to see if they will confirm. I agree though that the lacing is reverse than what we'd have for a silver-laced cochin.

A terrible example of silver-laced wyandotte is in the back. That one we got from the local feed store and her patterning is terrible compared to our gold-laced wyandotte. I know what she is for sure though at least! I will be buying non-hatchery birds in future. I just stupidly assumed they all came like the breed description!!! I still adore this light brahma though and she is still my favorite.

And here's a shot from above showing her on the left and our buff brahma on the right. Very very different lol!

They're Light Brahmas, not Cochins. The comb is wrong, and the lacing would be reversed.

Here is a photo of my young Light Brahma from a few years ago:

Her color got a bit better after she molted, though still very much hatchery quality:
Thanks for these! That's quite a difference. I posted updated almost 8 week old pics above.

Which hatchery did they come from? Mine was from Welp (so Privett, I guess).
Both the brahmas came from MyPetChicken who I understand source from Meyer.
I should add that every other bird I purchased from them looks a lot more like they are supposed to look in terms of matching the breed standard.

Last edited:
Hi, I may be brand new at raising chicks but I do know something about love. Unless you are into "show" birds, and that is your ONLY concern, I totally agree with you about her disposition. I did a lot of research before I decided which breed I wanted to have just for my personal pleasure (and of course to reduce my bug population :) The Light Brahma breed was the most docile and friendliest of them all. To me every species that takes a breath has their own beauty. I think your little girl is adorable and I don't know why everyone keeps saying she is "hatchery quality". I got my two little girls at Dunlap Hatchery in Southwestern Idaho and they are just adorable, at least to me. I don't care if they have more white or more black, etc. Chicks are like children, they come with all kinds of different features like looks, skin color, shapes, eyes and personality. I would rather have a lovable little girl who is a bit darker than what is considered "standard" than have one that is lighter and beautiful but lacks love and personality. You have been blessed with an adorable little Light Brahma girl that will bring you much joy and happiness. You have a wonderful attitude about her and I love that she is your special one. I have included a couple of pictures of my "hatchery quality" Light Brahma's. They are just 4 weeks old and I never knew I could love them as much as I do. I wouldn't care if they were purple and orange. Ha ha. They are so precious they even love my little dog. They follow her around the crate when she moves. My dog also loves them and protects them and grooms them right thru the crate :)
Thanks for letting me share.

Back
Top Bottom