Light brahma roo?

Kristylo14

Chirping
Jul 24, 2022
UP Michigan
I have 2 8 week old brahmas that were supposed to be pullets. We got them from tractor supply. One has a significantly larger comb. Is this a roo?

Attachments

• 20230524_162042.jpg
    20230524_162042.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230524_162037.jpg
    20230524_162037.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230524_162035.jpg
    20230524_162035.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 22
Really?? Here is a picture from today. The other was a couple weeks ago.
Yes about 8 weeks. It was a little more feathered than the rest but not by much when we got them all.
I would guess male, but I would probably watch for a few more weeks to see how it develops, before being entirely sure.

I would also watch for crowing or trying to mate with females, both of which are generally* signs of a male.

*Note, some hens do crow, and some hens act like they are trying to mate with other hens, but hens that do those things are much rarer than cockerels that do.

Ha! We are kind of excited but we have a bantam sebright that seems to be a rooster as well. But I'm thinking if our brahma is a rooster that might be best if our bantam is too because it's our only bantam. I'm guessing it'll depend on their attitudes? We had a flock of 5 already (for a year) and added 6 more (2 of which are our potential males) so I'm not sure how this goes. Also blaming tractor supply 😆
I hope that didn't sound like I was laughing at your misfortune. If it did, I will blame tractor supply and tell you that I am sorry. :hmm

Ha! We are kind of excited but we have a bantam sebright that seems to be a rooster as well. But I'm thinking if our brahma is a rooster that might be best if our bantam is too because it's our only bantam. I'm guessing it'll depend on their attitudes? We had a flock of 5 already (for a year) and added 6 more (2 of which are our potential males) so I'm not sure how this goes. Also blaming tractor supply 😆
Feel free to post a pic of your Sebright!

I would guess male, but I would probably watch for a few more weeks to see how it develops, before being entirely sure.

I would also watch for crowing or trying to mate with females, both of which are generally* signs of a male.

*Note, some hens do crow, and some hens act like they are trying to mate with other hens, but hens that do those things are much rarer than cockerels that do.
Thank you!!! Now that they are outside it'll be hard to tell which potential male is crowing so I'll have to be more observant. I appreciate the response!

Back
Top Bottom