Light Brahma - what sex? UPDATE 9/2 pg. 6 it's a boy

One thing I did notice about my brahmas, is that they are the nosiest of all my chickens, well I only have BRs and BOs. They chirp when they free range.

In those last photos, I saw some pointy saddle feathers.
We had a Buff Brahma bantam, what we were told was a pullet. As time went by, she got more and more red in the comb and waddles. It never developed into a large comb or waddles at all. But once "she" started crowing, we knew he had to go. We are allowed roosters where we are as long as its not a noise issue. Beautiful bird though. We want another as long as its a girl!

ohmychickies,

Ours do look like twins....

I guess I will have to look for a new home, especially if I start seeing those green pointy saddle feathers.

I have a BO and australorp too. They all seem really quiet. Recently the chirps have changed into clucks. Once and awhile one or some of them makes a loud goose noise but I'm not sure whos doing it. The brahmas tolerate being held really well while the others will struggle off and on, even though I've held them a lot since they were chicks.

yup, they sure do!! My Brahma rooster is the nicest. We hold him and he's nice and quiet and doesn't try to fly at all. I'm trying to make sure he'll be nice with my 7 year old daughter, so far so good. I don't know if it's the rooster trait but he seems to sit away from the girls and look around (although he makes sure he is by them) I kinda hope they aren't too noisy when older but I definitely know where they are.

LOL! I have one that doesn't open his beak when he crows, so it sounds like he has a hand over his mouth!
lol.png

Mine are all very possessive, and tend to peck and show agressiveness... I'm beginning to think it's only my birds, though...
hu.gif

My BO roo crowed for the first time this morning. I've never seen a rooster crow, what a delight that was. We'll see when the Brahma crows, that will be fun. My Brahmas aren't aggressive because they are the youngest of the batch. The poor guys - but I keep waiting for the roo to get bigger and stand up for his girls, I'm hoping.

Last edited:
I also have one that I'm not sure about and it looks just like yours. I have 3 - all the same hatch day, and they al llook totally different. One is definitely a roo - huge comb and wattles, big stocky body. One is definitely a pullet. And the other one...I just don't know yet. It is right in between the other 2. They are about 12 weeks now and I'm just going to have to keep waiting since Brahmas tend to develop slow. Oh - the definite roo started crowing last week. It's not often, and it sounds like a foghorn, but it's really crowing.
Anyway, for yours I would lean toward hen because it's tail feathers are not pointy like my roo has. My one hen has rounded tail feathers. But time will tell.
smile.png

Here's a photo of the three of them together

100_2595.jpg

You have a trio. The one all the way to the left is the rooster, and the other 2 are hens. Very nice brahmas.

Thanks, Sundown. That's what I'm hoping and I'm still not 100% convinced about the one on the right but it's alright if she's a he.
tongue.png
I found the roo a home with someone else from BYC because I just don't want a roo right now. He's going to be enormous! I love their low pitched voices - they sound so different from all the other birds in the flock. Kind of like a kazoo.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom