Light Brahmas or Buff Orpingtons: pick the better pet

I own both and have to say thats a tough one. Both breeds are great pets in my opinion. My Brahma hens are the sweetest girls , follow us around and they do really seem to like being held . A couple even like to snuggle on my lap, even when my dog is there. They will just snuggle right next to her. I have two Brahma hens that enjoy hugs and will just close their eyes and make soft contented noises. When our Brahma roo was alive he was good with my husband and I. He was friendly with us and would fly up on my lap or arms for treats. But he would watch my youngest daughter and he was obviously not comfortable with her . Being a young child she would tend to run and grab the hens suddenly which he didn't like and he did get her a couple times. He did actually make her bleed one time and we didn't allow her to go into the fenced areas or let him free range unless we were right there after that. We had to teach her that her behavior worried him and he thought she was hurting the hens. When she learned to walk around him and not run up and grab hens he was ok with her. He let her pick up the hens as long as she did it like we did.
The Buff Orps I have now are also very sweet, but maybe not quite as "cuddly" as the Brahmas.
They do sit on my lap or arm for treats and they do like to follow us around too. The Brahmas may also be more vocal and talk more to us. I have not owned a mature Orpington Roo so I can't say how they are. I have a young male now and he is friendly so far. He is only about 4 months old. I love both breeds but if I have to choose then its the Brahmas.

Quote:
OT - Thank you for posting that! Alot of people never bother to try and understand a rooster that well. As gentle as my rooster is, our GS is not allowed around him at this time. He's too young to understand that when he's running around and trying to grab the hens he looks very much like a predator to my rooster, who would do the same thing. I have a wonderful brahma rooster. I consider him beautiful and smart, but not smart enough to override his instincts that tell him to protect the hens at all costs.

Quote:
OT - Thank you for posting that! Alot of people never bother to try and understand a rooster that well. As gentle as my rooster is, our GS is not allowed around him at this time. He's too young to understand that when he's running around and trying to grab the hens he looks very much like a predator to my rooster, who would do the same thing. I have a wonderful brahma rooster. I consider him beautiful and smart, but not smart enough to override his instincts that tell him to protect the hens at all costs.

I wish I could get my DS to bring my 16 month old GS down to VA to try to catch my chickens..........sigh...............
hit.gif

You will not be sorry! They are a great breed for pets. I think it is also important to buy them from good stock since I have been reading about some people getting nasty tempered birds of breeds that should be friendly, from some hatcheries.

OT- Gritsar, I wish more people would take time to truly understand what a great Roo is. He has an important job to do and will protect his hens at all costs as you said. This is what he has been born to do and should be respected. Tyson was a great roo and my daughter understood that as she got older and more mature. She learned that he did have an important job and respected him for doing it so well. Alot of people don't understand that the normal behavior of young children can look threatening to the roo.

This makes me excited to get Brahmas too! I love Buff Orpingtons, but I have never had Brahmas. I have always wanted to get some Buff Brahmas too. I will have to try them. If they are calmer than Orps, those must be some laid back chickens. LOL

My brahma hens lay big eggs, are wonderful broodys, and also sweet and cuddly.

My brahma rooster is sweet, and loving to his girls. Never hurt anyone.

My BO's are stand offish, and just like to keep their distance.

Light Brahma's all the way! whoot!

Back
Top Bottom