Light Bulb ?????

QP

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
This is my first time having chicks and they are coming tomorrow. I have a couple of questions? What watt of a light bulb should i use? It is Cold in my house like 61* so do u think it will be a problem keeping them warm and if you do think so any tips on how to keep it warm???

Congratulations on getting your first chicks!
smile.png
Check out the BYC Learning Center (the link is at the top of the page) to get lots of great information about raising chicks, including how to keep them warm, what to feed them, etc. Hope all goes well.
jumpy.gif

My little ones are outside in their modified kid's playhouse, with no heat. A 100w bulb, after some experimenting, warms them just fine. You may be ok with 60 or 75w in your house.

Adam

Thx. Oh yeah how high should the water and food dish be so that they can eat but can't get in and make a mess??

I use a 100 or a 60 watt light bulb inside my house for the brooder, depending on what time of year......just make sure they have a large enough area to get away from the heat if needed...water and feed kept on floor of the brooder away from the heated side.....

QP - before anyone can really answer with good advise - where are you? How many chicks are you getting?

Folks in California would have different requirements from those in a colder state.

I personally use a ceramic heat bulb - used for reptiles. it creates no LIGHT, just warmth.

After the first week in the house, I start to turn the heat off during the day for longer and longer periods, our house stays at around 70 during the day - when they seem cold, I turn their heat on..... my baby chicks are almost 5 weeks old, and no longer have any supplimental heat.

I only have four babies, but in greater numbers, they keep each other warm to a certain extent as well.

ok i live in michigan and i gettin 12-13 chicks

Back
Top Bottom