Light-colored Melanistic Mutant pheasant?

Raise enough of them....eventually you'll get a 'hisser'! ;) At that young of age, it's just a game for them but sometimes it carries over into adulthood. Keep an eye on them if your brooding several together, though, they can be aggressive towards their brooder mates.
soo sorry to “hijack” but i’m 😂 at your new avatar!!!

Update on my oldest pheasants - @007Sean , is it normal for females to have very prominent bald patches on their faces? I've been observing them extensively today, and two appear how I (in my inexperienced state) would envision a male to look at this age. Just wondering, though I know the coloration was indicative of females.

This one I definitely think is a female.
DSCN4487.JPG
But these two?
DSCN4493.JPG
DSCN4495.JPG
Also, blue-eyed Blondie is still looking quite nice.
DSCN4509.JPG
20210710_212736.jpg

Update on my oldest pheasants - @007Sean , is it normal for females to have very prominent bald patches on their faces? I've been observing them extensively today, and two appear how I (in my inexperienced state) would envision a male to look at this age. Just wondering, though I know the coloration was indicative of females.

View attachment 2755029
But these two?
View attachment 2755027
View attachment 2755026
View attachment 2755032
View attachment 2755034
“these two” seem to be developing very prominent wattles 😮 i’ve never had blacks so i don’t claim to know for sure but 😮 i’d lean cockbirds based on those pics!!

View attachment 2755029
But these two?
View attachment 2755027
View attachment 2755026
View attachment 2755032
View attachment 2755034
They are all males!

“these two” seem to be developing very prominent wattles 😮 i’ve never had blacks so i don’t claim to know for sure but 😮 i’d lean cockbirds based on those pics!!
Most definitely! Hey, we're learning together. 😃
They are all males!
Well isn't that just lovely. :rolleyes: After looking at reference photos of young females, I now see lack of wattles/bald patches almost completely. And Blondie also has prominent wattles, though difficult to see.

Most definitely! Hey, we're learning together. 😃

Well isn't that just lovely. :rolleyes: After looking at reference photos of young females, I now see lack of wattles/bald patches almost completely. And Blondie also has prominent wattles, though difficult to see.
The cockbirds are easier on the eye than the hens...a little more color to them but like I said before, they were just too 'dull' for my eyes. One of the reasons I raise pheasants is for the variety of colors....black melanistics just don't have the color that even the green or blue exhibit.

Alexandra33 your name is so familiar. I think you used to ace all the breeds on "what breed or gender is this." :yesss: It's been quite a while. I usually just have time to do the "New member" welcomes.

Last edited:
The cockbirds are easier on the eye than the hens...a little more color to them but like I said before, they were just too 'dull' for my eyes. One of the reasons I raise pheasants is for the variety of colors....black melanistics just don't have the color that even the green or blue exhibit.
Agreed, the males are more visually interesting. I suppose I should be grateful. Hopefully these newest additions will add a little color to the bunch.
Alexandra33 your name is so familiar. I think you used to ace all the breeds on "what breed or gender is this." :yesss: It's been quite a while. I usually just have time to do the "New member" welcomes.
You remembered me after a few year hiatus? I'm truly impressed! :hugs

I'm really only active on BYC's Facebook group now, since there's more than enough experience here. :)

Back
Top Bottom