Light During The Winter "Cold Weather"

Inmanfarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Oakland County, Michigan
I live in michigan, and I have a smaller coop with 4 Isa Browns, during the winter months is it ok to leave the lights on in the coop 24/7 for heating purposes?????? This will be the 1st winter with our feathered babies, and we dont want them to be uncomfortable in any way. Thanks
yippiechickie.gif
:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick

Quote:
That is a great thread and will allay any fears you have about your chickens being cold. As far as the light is concerned, go to Lowe's Christmas section and pick up a timer for about $6-7 that will allow you to turn lights on and off a couple times a day, then set it so your chickens will have about 14 hrs of light. That will be more than enough.

Here's my 2 Cents. I have 5 girls in a little coop and the only real function for the light is to keep their laying cycle consistent.
It's dark here by 5 pm now and really doesn't light up till around a little after 8. But as soon as their light comes on in the morning they are up scratching around out in the dark and cold.

I say put the light on a timer for their cycle but don't sweat the temp thing. As long as they have a place to keep out of the wind they will be in good shape.

Leaving the lights on 24/7 can cause certain egg defects. It causes stress. They really need some dark time at night to relax. I've read a minimum of 7 hours of darkness is best, but I can't find that article again.

Back
Top Bottom