Light regimes for winter mail order chicks?

worrywart

Chirping
Sep 21, 2013
Swall meadows, CA
Hi,
We received a batch of baby chicks that hatched January 13th in the mail in an attempt to replenish our flock after losing the majority of our birds to a husky in December. I have only 2 hens remaining at they have some pretty bad PTSD from the attack so we decided to get chicks ASAP so they could have some more sisters to keep them company. Given the unnatural timing of their hatch I am a bit concerned they may go into early lay after reading some articles about the effects of using a heat lamp for a prolonged period of time.

I live at 7'000 feet in the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains of CA and will likely need to continue use of a heat lamp for the chicks after 8 weeks when we move them from the garage to our barn. I am concerned that 24 hrs of light even though it's "red" will throw them off.

What do recommend as far as light regimes go for this situation?
At what temperatures can I stop using the heat lamp for 8 - 10 week old chicks? It has been a very mild winter thus far but we can still get nasty cold snaps at that time of year(well below freezing).

Thanks for any advice!

So you don't think that going from say 50 degrees (heat subsided) to the teens is problematic for young birds?
I thought I had read that drastic drops can be hard on a flock. I am willing to learn from more experienced flock owners just don't want to blow it. I've only been keeping birds for about a year.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom