Light Sussex Thread!!!

Pics
I am just saying - If they had a better track record (umm, silver sussex splits? Really) I would be more hopeful. A picture maybe worth a thousand words, but a hands on feel of the bird is worth much much more. There is a lot you can't tell from a picture.
I am not willing to judge such a complicated enterprise as Greenfire Farms
on past record. Working with rare poultry is a learning experience and I will wait and
see what Greenfire has wrought in these new imports. Yes, the Aussie
Light Sussex were quite different than US or CAN or UK birds. Not my
cup of tea really. However, in the skilled hands of those who successfully
melded them with US strains, there are some real nice birds coming out of that work.
Poultry breeding is a 'wait and see' hobby, as you know.
Ok, the Aussies were out of type for the US. Did Greenfire quit? Just throw up their
hands? No. They waited to see how melding with US would work. In addition, now
they are bringing in a Euro strain from top show stock which should meld much
easier with North American strains. I think that deserves a vote of confidence rather than a jeer.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I like the Aussie strain.

Large, friendly and lay big beautiful eggs. Of course I don't show, but then most poultry keepers don't.

Just lovely birds! Thanks so much for postug these pics!
Best,
Karen (who is drooling over the quality of the hackle feathering!)

Here are some pics I took this morning of the line we imported from Sweden and that hatched in July 2013. The birds are six months old.

It's hard to say at this point because of their young age. I'm guessing they'll be similar in height anyway. The cockerels are already very tall. Not sure if they'll be as thick as the Aussies. Maybe. Here's an adult Aussie rooster for comparison.

Quote: I am absolutely gob-stopped! Just stunning. Oh you got it so right! Look at those hackles! Not a superhackle among them! And the carriage is lovely. Nice length of body.
Proper tail at right elevation. See how there is a slight slant to the females legs as she stands? See also my avatar who is a 10 month old pure English strain pullet. . That is a mark of a chassis which is properly balanced upon the legs. A Sussex should never stand as upright like a Langshan. As seen here, its chassis (female) should be well settled down on its legs but not so much it reminds one of a Dorking. . Look at those combs and wattles. Medium, just right. So medium. And the skin on the comb and wattles. Fine textured, just like it should be. That tells me the rest of the skin on the rest of the bird is fine textured, as per the APA and UK Standard. That fine textured skin is so important on a Sussex! It not only helps with the meat but stretches to allow the reproductive organs room during laying. A coarse skin tends to lay up fat underneath it . Fat is not stretchable and no room for the reproductive organs to expand, thus affecting laying production. The fineness of the scales on the shanks is also an indicator of the fineness of the rest of the skin on the bird. In the Sussex, the scales should lay flat and smooth on the legs. I cannot see the texture in these pics but since the comb texture is right, I can extrapolate the scales on the shanks are also. Nice depth of body and breast prominence in both sexes.

Look at that female's head! Dainty, yet proper. With a lovely properly shaped beak. No crow heads here! Drool. No Orpington look to either sex! See how one can see the definition of the thighs in the plumage? That is the difference between the Orpington ( which the Sussex should never resemble) and the Sussex. In the Orp, the plumage hides the definition of the thigh outline. In the Sussex, it doesn't.
Loving the plumage too. No powder puffy look to them. The areas of the birds anatomy can be discerned in spite of the plumage as the Sussex is a close feathered breed with sufficient underfluff. This is the Euro interpretation of that and is workable in both APA and UK/Euro Standards. From my readings, I don't believe the Europeans go for the overly large Sussex. Am guessing the males here will mature at 9-10 lbs. and the hens at about 7 to 8 lbs.? Am I close?
Historic lit says we should want to see some longer legginess on the cockerels as they mature. That if we see this ( as in the cockerel above) the male will settle down just right when it is mature. Per Leo Outram in his 1925 classic tome.

Are these birds descended from Nick Smith's UK flock or maybe Cheshire Poultry's UK flock whose birds include Nick's strain? I know Nick disbanded a lot of his flock in 2011 due to other agricultural activity demands.
Bravo,
Karen

Last edited:

Yes my boys that were hatched in sep are huge. Lovely docile boys, shame I don't need any boys. Will try once more to rehome them if not they'll be dinner.
Don't know how far from the airport you are Michael , but we do have quite a few interstate travelers here, we might be able to organize something when it cools down. If not I guess there is always good old Aus post. You guys are set to get some hot days as are we, hope it doesn't knock you or your birds around too much.

Back
Top Bottom