Light Sussex vs. Light Brahma for Winter

If you must shrink the flock to two, I would keep the Brahma. While both breeds are winter hardy, and both are more likely than many breeds to keep laying right thru the winter, the Brahma are more famous for both.

Not that what the crowd thinks it knows is necessarily truth, but in this case, you can't really make a bad decision, so may as well favor what the crowd thinks it knows.

I see, thanks! I do wonder though, if our brahma's are pure. They do have the feather on the feet. Photo below:
IMG_8503.jpg

Brahma on the left, and two light sussex's

I'm no expert on breed standards - nor do I have any inclination to try to be, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. No, that's not a pure breed.

and now that we are past that...

Does it have a pea comb? Great for avoiding frostbite.
Is it a large bird? Great for surviving winter weather.
Does it have feathered feet? Good to protect the legs - caveat, must keep coop and run DRY to prevent icy mud from accumulating on those feathered feet and promoting frost bite. I'd start adding material to the floor of the run (straw, pine shavings, etc) now, so you needn't rush to do it later - and double check the run next rain to ensure the ground slopes away from it. Won't help with snow, will help with snow melt.

Its the characteristics that matter, not the purity of the bird - breed purity is merely a useful shortcut for describing a bird with that character.

Finally, Brahma tend to be pretty quiet, but predator alert. Also good things.

we recently picked up two Light Sussex's and two Light Brahma's. We want to keep only two for the winter (gets down to -25 C).

I suggest one of each. It is not obvious which breed is better, so keeping one of each will get you one of the better breed, and one of the other for comparison :)

Edit--oops, just re-read the first post, and the Sussex are inclined to bully the Brahmas. Nope, better to keep two of a kind. In that case, I vote Brahma because I personally like pea combs. Yes, that's a really unbiased answer :lol:

I'm no expert on breed standards - nor do I have any inclination to try to be, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. No, that's not a pure breed.

and now that we are past that...

Does it have a pea comb? Great for avoiding frostbite.
Is it a large bird? Great for surviving winter weather.
Does it have feathered feet? Good to protect the legs - caveat, must keep coop and run DRY to prevent icy mud from accumulating on those feathered feet and promoting frost bite. I'd start adding material to the floor of the run (straw, pine shavings, etc) now, so you needn't rush to do it later - and double check the run next rain to ensure the ground slopes away from it. Won't help with snow, will help with snow melt.

Its the characteristics that matter, not the purity of the bird - breed purity is merely a useful shortcut for describing a bird with that character.

Finally, Brahma tend to be pretty quiet, but predator alert. Also good things.
Yes to all three! They are quite big. And I agree with your assessment. Makes sense. And thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom