Light to candle by?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fishinchicken, Mar 12, 2011.

1. fishinchicken

fishinchicken In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    SWVA
    What kind of light should I candle by...I've got a metal coffee can with hole cut and I used a 60 watt bulb. I don't see any veining [​IMG]

I'm on day 6.5

2. Higins00

Higins00 Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    try a small mag flash light in the complete dark holding the egg in the palm of your hand. Shine flash light in the side and turn the egg around to see what's inside. Thats what I do.

3. andalusn

andalusn Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    If you go looking for a LED flashlight at a store like Home Depot or Walmart look for the LUMES rating. Most posts I have seen on the forum say anything over 140 lumes. I recently bought a light on Amazon that was 200 lumes and I can see the chick moving inside the shell in my darkened bathroom just off the kitchen where I have my incubator.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I agree with andalusn, find a LED flashlight with as many lumens as possible. I also learned a trick from another BYC'er. Put your egg on you candler that you made with the air cell up and then shine a mag light through the end with the air cell so you are shining light into the egg from both ends. Works pretty good.

5. andalusn

andalusn Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    A few days ago this topic was posted by someone who made their own light. Looks like it worked well.

Light topic on BYC

6. jmtrestle

jmtrestle In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I use a mini mag light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: