• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

biggbooboo

Chirping
Apr 28, 2018
toledo ohio
hello,
i have some sebastopol and would like them to lay early this year. iv heard that they will not lay late into the year even with extra lighting, but will go early. even can double egg production. iv seen 10 -13 hours of light starting on nov 1st till jan 15th. anyone have any help here.

a little info to help:
i have 5 sebastopol : 1 blue splash gander/ 1 white gander /1 blue f /1white f/ 1white color carring f
2 french troulse not sure of sex all hatched around late may
and a bunch of ducks appleyards ,muscovy ,cayugha,crested 4-6 month old the older ducks lay an egg a day starting last month
the ducks dont like being pended so i leave every 1 out in a fenced yard at night. plan on seperating breeds in the spring. im in the city so not may predetors and they roam freely during the day. there is several street lights the big city kind.

so was wonder if the street light would be enough or mess them up? do i need more light? how much and how many hours what time a day? will i need to pen them to make the light effective?if so, its still a little dark when i leave for work and let them out then will this effect the lighting schedule. should i include the ducks with this lighting schedule?

thanks

Sebastopols are seasonal layers. They only lay in late winter into early spring. Mine start in late February and are done by the first part of April. I don't think any additional lighting can influence them.

Sebastopols are seasonal layers. They only lay in late winter into early spring. Mine start in late February and are done by the first part of April. I don't think any additional lighting can influence them.
a few studys were done on romans and 2 groups 1 had light added for nov til mid jan.and 1 did not have extra light . the group with the light layed 2x the eggs
just make the season longer and you get more eggs. but the stuy showed it had little effext at the end of the season

That may be true but your not comparing apples to apples. Romans will lay most of the year where as Sebastopols are seasonal layers "more similar to wild geese".
Not looking for nah sayers. Looking for experienced help. To guild me though there experiences. Most birds lay seasonally. And if stimulated will start on my time not there's

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but are your geese so quiet nobody complains? I live in a more suburban area than you describe, and I'd love to get geese but worry about noise.

Ok. I can say from experience "over 10 years raising Sebastopols" that I kept a pair of my Sebastopols in the barn for a year once. I only did this due to the fact the female was getting picked on by the other females so I put an old male with her for company. The barn lights were on from about 8 am to 10 pm every day. And it did not effect her laying at all. She started laying late if February and started setting mid March and hatched 9 goslings out of 9 eggs set. So in my experience changing the lighting will not effect Sebastopols.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but are your geese so quiet nobody complains? I live in a more suburban area than you describe, and I'd love to get geese but worry about noise.
i live about 1 mile for downtown in a large city. not suburban. urban. in the hood with murders and all. the geese live where 3 houses stood but were tore down. that urban.lol i have several permits from the city and heath depo for waterfowl. and the only time they make a noise is when i come out to them or something comes in the yard.no louder than a dog. my hood loves them. so id say check with your local laws and neighbors 1st

Ok. I can say from experience "over 10 years raising Sebastopols" that I kept a pair of my Sebastopols in the barn for a year once. I only did this due to the fact the female was getting picked on by the other females so I put an old male with her for company. The barn lights were on from about 8 am to 10 pm every day. And it did not effect her laying at all. She started laying late if February and started setting mid March and hatched 9 goslings out of 9 eggs set. So in my experience changing the lighting will not effect Sebastopols.
thank you. this is more of the info i needed. i plan on hatching the eggs so as to not stop any of there eggs production. i can see how if you let her set them your not getting any more eggs form them. but if you collect . heard of getting up to 70 eggs from 1 sebastopol. now i know that is extreme but to get 30 -40 isnt and if i can stretch 5 more out of them ill add the light

i live about 1 mile for downtown in a large city. not suburban. urban. in the hood with murders and all. the geese live where 3 houses stood but were tore down. that urban.lol i have several permits from the city and heath depo for waterfowl. and the only time they make a noise is when i come out to them or something comes in the yard.no louder than a dog. my hood loves them. so id say check with your local laws and neighbors 1st
Thanks! That's great info.

Back
Top Bottom