Lighting for the Coop with no Electricity.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lorijohnson823, Mar 28, 2012.

1. lorijohnson823

lorijohnson823 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Calhoun, KY
    I am looking for ideas for Lighting our coop. My coop doesn't have electricity. It was a shed that we never used when moving into our home. So I decided to turn it into my little chicken coop. I bought a couple of battery powered push lights, but I feel that is not nearly enough light. My pullets haven't started laying yet. I'm sure they will not start until late summer. In the winter, I plan on running an extension cord out there, but my husband doesn't want an extension cord running through our yard year around. Does anyone have any creative ideas for me and my coop?

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    i plan on using white christmas lights :)

3. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know you're not "supposed to" do this, but I had a heavy-duty extension cord buried a few inches under ground for years, and it was fine. (Until I chopped through it with my shovel while digging a hole to plant something - oops!) Just make sure it's plugged into a GFCI outlet.

4. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    We have the same problem but I'm thinking we're going to dig a trench and run proper electricity out there. How far away is the closest electricity? It may be less expensive than you think to run it and then you would have electricity for a water tank heater too if it gets cold where you are in the winter.

5. Doughie

Doughie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Cache County, Utah
    Missy Coturnix likes this.
  6. beej

beej Out Of The Brooder

We bought the solar "accent" lights and put them in the chicken tractor with the solar cell sticking through the roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by