1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lighting-how much is enough

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4ee2buff, Oct 9, 2010.

1. 4ee2buff

4ee2buff Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Vermont
    Hello BYC friends,

I have had to move my chickens due to coyotes in the area. They are now house in a coop which is safe but receives very little light (sometimes none). In the morning there is a dim filtered sunlight that hits their roost. Soon they will have access to a run that is covered and enclosed with a ceiling and 3 walls. filtered light enters on one side, there are some darker areas within the run.

So I guess my question is how strong does the light need to be? is filtered sunlight enough light?

When I use a light within their coop what type of light does it need to be? Do energy efficient light bulbs work?

Thanks
    Colleen

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Half a foot candle is all they need for egg-producing. That means just enough light for you to read a newspaper 6 inches from your eyes. Whether you provide anything stronger is your personal choice. I would think filtered sunlight would be sufficient. We have a single LED bulb in our coop that works well. Just make sure they have enough light at night to be able to see to get on the roosts.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have a 20w Bright Stick for a 12 X 12 coop--seems to work just fine and easy to install.

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I use the curly energy efficient kind. It's the same bulb I put out there 1 1/2 yrs ago. I leave in on 5 am to 8 pm fall - spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by