1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lighting question(s)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stifflej, Aug 14, 2008.

1. stifflej

stifflej Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    I want to be able to keep my hens laying all winter, and know that i will need to provide artificial light come September. Question is, what type of light bulb do I need to do this? I would prefer to use a light that uses a standard light socket (have a bunch of them). Is it something I can get from lowes, or would I need to get it from the local feed store? Also, I would i be able to use the same bulb to keep chicks (cornish x) warm before I need to put it in the coop?

Thanks.

2. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For lighting, I just use a 13 w screw-in florescent that fits a standard light fixture.
    For heat, I use a red 250 w heat light hung over the roosts.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  3. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Your best bet would be a spectrum light, I know HOme Depot sells them for regular light sockets. It would be on the same order of a plant light, this way its more of a natural light, like the sun. plus they use less electric, and last a lot longer.

what I do is I add up how many hours they are missing of Sunlight, from summer hours.

example: the sun come up at 6:30 a.m. and sets at 9:30 p.m. in summer hours.

when winter comes the sun comes up a 7:30 a.m. or later and sets at 7:30 p.m. or earlier.

your losing any where from 3 to 5 hours of natural light,
    I will give them 3 hours light, and if they are laying good, i will stay that way if not i keep add a 1/2 hour. until they are laying normally.

I turn the light on when they go into the coop at the end of the day, so they will have contuse light for the next 3 to 5 hours, and then dark for their normal sleeping time.

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ? GETS DARK AT 5:30 PM

5. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Well then you just go by when it gets dark where you live.
    as i said i was giving example of how to calculate hours that you need supplement light.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Some breeds don't need artificial light to continue to lay through winter, such as BR's, RIR's and BO's.

What breeds do you have?

7. stifflej

stifflej Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    (5) RIR, (5) Black Sex Links and 4 White Leghorns...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by