Lighting Question

KNAndrs

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Superior, WI
Does the type of light matter for the coop? My guess is no, but I am curious if anyone has done experiments with lighting and egg production. Does it matter if the light is fluorescent, filament, heat lamp, full spectrum or LED?

Thanks for the help.

That's a great question as I was thinking of adding an LED rope light to my coop once it's complete. I'm all about energy conservation.

Im not sure why your are lighting your coops. Best conservation is no light. I don't know if chickens have hormone cycles like humans, but we humans mess ourselves up by artificially extending our days with electricity, and not changing length of days with the seasons. My chickens--hybrids and Wyandottes-- lay on average 1 egg per day in good weather, and 9 eggs/ 12 chickens in winter. And this is in Iowa where it is cold. I do take chill off coop with "milk heater" when it is really cold, but it is frosty in there sometimes.

I am a few hundred miles North of you, in Superior, WI. Our days get mighty short up here with less than 8hrs of daylight in the winter and over 16 hrs of day in the summer. We light and heat to balance the winter nights to the summer.

Back
Top Bottom