Lighting with Eco-glow brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loveclucks, Feb 5, 2015.

1. loveclucks

loveclucks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Seattle
    Hello fellow chicken lovers. I am expecting my chicks in two months and have decided to use the Eco-glow brooder. Should I still use a 75 watt bulb for daytime and a 15 watt bulb for night time? And should I use a red bulb for daytime? I am using a very large box for their brooder and my house temperature stays on the cool side. Thanks!

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    No. You don't need to add a light (unless they'd be in the dark all day long, LOL!). I had mine with the just EcoGlow in Oct when it was in the 50s and they did just fine.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. loveclucks

Jan 1, 2015
    Seattle
    Ok, thanks so much.

4. Alabama Jack

Alabama Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Huntsville, Alabama
    We just went through the same thing. The room was about 70 for the first week and then I closed the vent after second week to keep room at 65 or so. Left lights on during day till about 8 at night and a night light for first two weeks. Now they get a "good night ladies" and all lights off at three weeks. I'm a newbie, but all is well. They kept chirping with the night light, now its quiet, with the light off. Feel free to PM with any questions, as I had a bunch that I should have asked.

5. loveclucks

Jan 1, 2015
    Seattle
    Ok, thanks so much and you may hear from me with future questions.

6. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Feel free to keep asking and repyling on this thread, too. I just got my first two Eco-glows and will probably have the same questions

1 person likes this.
  7. ladycat

ladycat Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are in the mudroom with light coming from a window on one side of the room, and light through the doorway on the other side of the room. I don't put any additional light on the chicks. It's plenty enough light in that room with just the Eco-Glow.

8. Alabama Jack

Alabama Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Couple of lessons learned by me:

Plug in the ecoglow at least 30 minutes prior to putting the chicks in the brooder, if possible. I didn't, and had to show the girls where to go (no big deal.)

I have 12 chicks and the Ecoglow20 seemed like it would be way too small, and in my paranoia, I almost went out and got a heat lamp for the first night. It's plenty big for 12. They're 4 weeks old, come Monday, and they don't sleep under, just next to it, now a days. Trust it... :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  9. loveclucks

Jan 1, 2015
    Seattle
    Thanks so much. To me, Eco-glow sounds like the best and easiest option for heating my babies. I am starting with 15 chicks and selling half of them so I'm sure they will have plenty of room. I like the fact that it is more natural for the chicks in that they get to sleep with only a small night light.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Before committing the money, check out Premier1 which is a competitor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by