Lighting with Eco-glow brooder

loveclucks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
Seattle
Hello fellow chicken lovers. I am expecting my chicks in two months and have decided to use the Eco-glow brooder. Should I still use a 75 watt bulb for daytime and a 15 watt bulb for night time? And should I use a red bulb for daytime? I am using a very large box for their brooder and my house temperature stays on the cool side. Thanks!

No. You don't need to add a light (unless they'd be in the dark all day long, LOL!). I had mine with the just EcoGlow in Oct when it was in the 50s and they did just fine.

Last edited:
We just went through the same thing. The room was about 70 for the first week and then I closed the vent after second week to keep room at 65 or so. Left lights on during day till about 8 at night and a night light for first two weeks. Now they get a "good night ladies" and all lights off at three weeks. I'm a newbie, but all is well. They kept chirping with the night light, now its quiet, with the light off. Feel free to PM with any questions, as I had a bunch that I should have asked.

My chicks are in the mudroom with light coming from a window on one side of the room, and light through the doorway on the other side of the room. I don't put any additional light on the chicks. It's plenty enough light in that room with just the Eco-Glow.

Couple of lessons learned by me:

Plug in the ecoglow at least 30 minutes prior to putting the chicks in the brooder, if possible. I didn't, and had to show the girls where to go (no big deal.)

I have 12 chicks and the Ecoglow20 seemed like it would be way too small, and in my paranoia, I almost went out and got a heat lamp for the first night. It's plenty big for 12. They're 4 weeks old, come Monday, and they don't sleep under, just next to it, now a days. Trust it... :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much. To me, Eco-glow sounds like the best and easiest option for heating my babies. I am starting with 15 chicks and selling half of them so I'm sure they will have plenty of room. I like the fact that it is more natural for the chicks in that they get to sleep with only a small night light.

Back
Top Bottom