Low temperature help!

Logar

Chirping
Mar 31, 2024
Hi everyone! I am still working on setting up my brooder and have run into a pretty big problem- temperature. So for a bit of background my brooder is in my basement which is usually around 60-65 degrees. I thought that a big brooder plate would be enough but it is only getting to around 85 in the dead center but 80-82 under most of it. What should I do? I am thinking about getting a smaller red light that is only around 150 watts so it will act as more of an ambient increaser instead of a primary heat source. Thank you all for your help and I hope to be more active on here in the future!

At those temps a brooder plate should be fine. Are you checking temp on ground under plate or the underneath of actual plate. Plate doesn't really warm area that much, as it works as a hen would heat their chicks by touch. The chicks need to be able to touch plate with their backs at first. Check temp of underside of plate itself and see where you're at.

So the plate itself is reading around 137f. Is that an issue?
Is it so hot that you can't safely put your hand on it? I don't know how hot plates actually run. That is higher than a broody's body temperature but as long as chicks can adjust for how much heat they receive from it, and it's not so hot as to burn them, then it should be fine.

Hi everyone! I am still working on setting up my brooder and have run into a pretty big problem- temperature. So for a bit of background my brooder is in my basement which is usually around 60-65 degrees. I thought that a big brooder plate would be enough but it is only getting to around 85 in the dead center but 80-82 under most of it. What should I do? I am thinking about getting a smaller red light that is only around 150 watts so it will act as more of an ambient increaser instead of a primary heat source. Thank you all for your help and I hope to be more active on here in the future!
Set it to heat rather then brooder most have two settings and that will bump it also invest 20-25 and get a auto thermostat that will go on and off at set temps I put a box over mine as well with a lil door cut out to make like a lil coop 😂 and it stays 93-96 under the plate … mine are now 2 weeks Thursday and I had to turn temp down as they were always out side box area which told me they were to hot so now it’s at 85 and I still only have two that really go under … rest are pretty big now and really don’t go under much

Back
Top Bottom