1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I have 2 coops that are connected together by a glassed in walkway. This walkway is where their feed and water is. I have ran elec to all 3 sections. I have recepticals in them also. I placed lights on switches for the main coops. I also placed lights in the main coops on timers. There is plenty of light in the walkway area. What wattage lights should i put on the timers. The coops are approx 10x10 and 5x10. The walkway area is about 4x12. I have them so that they come on about 4 a/m and go off about 8p/m. I have them go off well after the sun is up in the a/m and come on before the sun goes down in the p/m so that they dont burn all day. Is that about right? Im not sure about the wattage or length of time. Thanks for any help i can get.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    40 watts should be plenty.
    It doesn't take much

Quote: That's not needed.
    Just give them about 14 hours of light each day, but do the all extra in the mornings

3. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I thank You.It did appear to be to bright in their coops.I also will change the timer.I'll probably have them going crazy before this gets going.[​IMG]

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have mine timed so they come on 2hrs before daylight, if the light is on at night and goes off when their not on the roost they won't be able to see in the dark to get on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by