lights and chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PHILMAN, May 16, 2011.

1. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    I am getting rid of 4 roosters that are @ 6-7weeks old , and I'm getting 3 pullets that are @ 4-6 weeks old . My roosters were in the coop since the day I had them . My question is what kind of light should I use for heat for the chicks . It gets into the higher 40's at night . Ive been using a 85 watt red flood light at night . Or should I use a brooder light , or a light bulb ? Or use nothing at all . I thought it was to bright inside the coop for them to sleep . That's one of the reasons I put the red light inside, the other reason is that I heard that if you use a red light they wouldnt peck at the other chicks . Can someone shed some light on me about this ? Ha !

Thaks Phil

2. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    lights on or off ?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A red, 85watt will likely throw enough heat, if positioned less than 24" high. Judge your effectiveness by the chicks behavior. If at 50 degrees, they are huddling really close, in a pile, it is marginal, but I doubt it will be an issue at all. If they seem comfortable at 50, they'll be fine at 40. 4-6 week old chicks are NOT fragile. In fact, don't be too surprised if they don't care about very much heat at all.

4. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Great thanks ! Its ok to leave the lights on over night right that doesnt effect them right ?

Phil

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, The point of the red light is heat, not light.

6. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Thanks .

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Due to unexpected record cold here in the south during the last few nights (mid to low 40's), I was advised to put in a
    clip-on light with reflector and a sixty watt bulb at a height of twelve inches above floor level over my five two week old
    BO's. They love it. Anytime the temp falls below 70 for the next four or five weeks, I am going to have that light on.

8. PHILMAN

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    I just ordered a ceramic infrared bulb 100 watts to replace the red 85 watt light . It was blinding even to me . Hope its better .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by