lights and chick

PHILMAN

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
South Plainfield , NJ
I am getting rid of 4 roosters that are @ 6-7weeks old , and I'm getting 3 pullets that are @ 4-6 weeks old . My roosters were in the coop since the day I had them . My question is what kind of light should I use for heat for the chicks . It gets into the higher 40's at night . Ive been using a 85 watt red flood light at night . Or should I use a brooder light , or a light bulb ? Or use nothing at all . I thought it was to bright inside the coop for them to sleep . That's one of the reasons I put the red light inside, the other reason is that I heard that if you use a red light they wouldnt peck at the other chicks . Can someone shed some light on me about this ? Ha !

Thaks Phil

A red, 85watt will likely throw enough heat, if positioned less than 24" high. Judge your effectiveness by the chicks behavior. If at 50 degrees, they are huddling really close, in a pile, it is marginal, but I doubt it will be an issue at all. If they seem comfortable at 50, they'll be fine at 40. 4-6 week old chicks are NOT fragile. In fact, don't be too surprised if they don't care about very much heat at all.

Due to unexpected record cold here in the south during the last few nights (mid to low 40's), I was advised to put in a
clip-on light with reflector and a sixty watt bulb at a height of twelve inches above floor level over my five two week old
BO's. They love it. Anytime the temp falls below 70 for the next four or five weeks, I am going to have that light on.

Back
Top Bottom