Lights in run???

I've seen some pictures where there are light strings in the run. I've thought they were more decorative than functional.

"Mom's" reasoning, might be helpful to know though...

Attachments

• lights.png
    lights.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 7
  • more lights.png
    more lights.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
I've seen some pictures where there are light strings in the run. I've thought they were more decorative than functional.

"Mom's" reasoning, might be helpful to know though...
I have asked and she said that she suggested it because it seemed like something people might do that went along with lights in the coop.

We were discussing the idea of putting lights in the coop to boost laying
Supplemental lighting for winter laying needs to be where they can eat/drink.
Mine come on early in the morning, in the coop only where their feed and water is.
Much controversy over lighting, most don't understand it and/or misapply it.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Supplemental lighting for winter laying needs to be where they can eat/drink.
Mine come on early in the morning, in the coop only where their feed and water is.
Much controversy over lighting, most don't understand it and/or misapply it.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.
Thanks for the link! I'll give it a read! We've already decided to leave the laying alone, and let them take a break. Lights in the run was just a new idea I hadn't seen and I wondered if it had some merit.

I do have a flood light in my run. It is on a switch. I do use it.

As the days are getting very short and I do not keep food or water in the duck house I turn it on just before dusk. I turn it off at 6:30 when I put them in the coop for the night. This allows them a bit more time to eat and drink.

Other than that....I use it if I am doing a predator check in the night. The motion activated light on the front of the chicken coop triggers my dogs which triggers me. So far it has been neighborhood cats and one surprised owl.

I'm not sure how functional they would be considering it would be daytime anyways, but if they came on at night for pure asthetic then that could be pretty cool

Lights in the run was just a new idea I hadn't seen and I wondered if it had some merit.
I think most people put lights in the run for decoration.
Could bother the birds tho if they shine into the coop.
One guy here has lights in the very secure run, for winter laying, because that's where he keeps the feed/water.

I use a headlight for night chores, and have a hand held floodlight for predator scares(never had one-except raccoons and opossum in my grill-nowhere near the coop). Motion activated lights could bother the birds, I know they bother me when every little thing sets them off, have one here but sensor is deactivated.

Back
Top Bottom