Lights on or lights off

wonder if leaving a 25 watt halogen light on 24/7 in the vicinity of the coop is good or bad?
Some probably do it, I only run a light that is set to come on about 3am to lengthen the days, to help with egg production---If I Need help with the egg production. Other than that----Light out in the roosting area. Why you want lights? Keep in mind some do have night lights in their yard but I never have had that to deal with.

I have two reasons as to why I'm doing it. First one, I believe I read on BYC at one time stated to aid the chickens in case they fell off the roost at night. Second one, is kind of an experiment. I want to see if they will roost facing the light. The light is outside of the coop at about a 10' distance. So far after 4 weeks the girls seem to be roosting facing the light. You may ask why does it matter. Well chickens are not fully allowed in the plated subdivision so everything I do has to be well thought out.

I never really thought about having lights on 24/7 in the coop because I've never had lights for other animals. I don't see why it would be a problem though if that's what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom