1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lights on or lights off

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CrappieJoe, May 17, 2017.

1. CrappieJoe

CrappieJoe Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    Lima, OH
    wonder if leaving a 25 watt halogen light on 24/7 in the vicinity of the coop is good or bad?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Some probably do it, I only run a light that is set to come on about 3am to lengthen the days, to help with egg production---If I Need help with the egg production. Other than that----Light out in the roosting area. Why you want lights? Keep in mind some do have night lights in their yard but I never have had that to deal with.

CrappieJoe likes this.
  3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    We have a dusk to dawn security flood light that illuminates part of the coop area, but not directly on the roosts. It doesn't seem to bother the chickens. (At least they haven't said anything to me about it.)

4. CrappieJoe

CrappieJoe Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    Lima, OH
    I have two reasons as to why I'm doing it. First one, I believe I read on BYC at one time stated to aid the chickens in case they fell off the roost at night. Second one, is kind of an experiment. I want to see if they will roost facing the light. The light is outside of the coop at about a 10' distance. So far after 4 weeks the girls seem to be roosting facing the light. You may ask why does it matter. Well chickens are not fully allowed in the plated subdivision so everything I do has to be well thought out.

5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I never really thought about having lights on 24/7 in the coop because I've never had lights for other animals. I don't see why it would be a problem though if that's what you want to do.

CrappieJoe likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by