Likelihood that California will ban the sale of chickens?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I'm in the state of California and just a few years ago they banned the sale of rabbits at pet stores. What is the likelihood that this crazy state will eventually ban the sale of chickens at feed/pet stores?

What is the likelihood that this crazy state will eventually ban the sale of chickens at feed/pet stores?
Get involved! Write letters to your State Senator, your Congressman/woman. Talk to people who run feed/pet stores, and find out what they know.

Look into other sources for buying chickens.

At Easter, our local TSC has signs on the chick pens to the effect that chicks are not "toys," or "Easter decorations." Using bunnies as such may have been the reason that sales of rabbits at feed/pet stores was banned in you state.

Personally, I don't see anything crazy about limiting/banning the sale of animals from pet shops and other places like that.
Buy from local breeders who you can trust instead; the animals will be happier most of the time, better bred, and closer to standard.
Or buy fertile eggs from breeders and hatch them yourself. Here you can't post any live animals, (fertile eggs are ok most of the time) which means you can't buy day old chicks nearly as easily, but just as many people keep chickens.

Also, what is the likelihood that my crazy state, California, will ban the sale of fish, birds (parakeets/conures/cockatiels/finches/canaries/doves) and small animals at pet stores such as Petco/Petsmart? And what is the likelihood that my state will punish people who sell/rehome animals on craigslist?

Also, what is the likelihood that my crazy state, California, will ban the sale of fish, birds (parakeets/conures/cockatiels/finches/canaries/doves) and small animals at pet stores such as Petco/Petsmart? And what is the likelihood that my state will punish people who sell/rehome animals on craigslist?
Those are questions to pose to your local legislature, from city council on up.

Unlikely. Farming is a necessary enterprise; and it's very hard to draft laws that target private livestock ownership yet leave commercial operations unaffected.
Big AG has plenty of sway in every state to keep livestock legal.

Rabbits aren't of commercial interest, so there wasn't big business pressure besides the (relatively minor) pet industry.
Just like in Florida, many species of lizards were banned from sale AND to keep existing pets without a permit & habitat inspection 2 years ago for ecological reasons.
I was a bit put out about it because I was looking to get an axanthic (blue) Iguana at the same time, and they can't even survive the winter in the wild as far north in FL as we live. So why ban the whole state instead of just the south? *sigh*
The pet industry just didn't have the juice to do anything about it, despite a full-effort campaign to reduce the scope.

Back to chickens... The clearest route to target private livestock owners is with land use rules enacted by counties / cities. Which is still a big issue across the whole USA.

I, for one, would like to see California crack down on battery cage operations, like they have on other livestock abuses. Other states would eventually follow. There's no reason animals should have to suffer to keep the meat industry productive.

Unlikely. Farming is a necessary enterprise; and it's very hard to draft laws that target private livestock ownership yet leave commercial operations unaffected.
Big AG has plenty of sway in every state to keep livestock legal.

Rabbits aren't of commercial interest, so there wasn't big business pressure besides the (relatively minor) pet industry.
Just like in Florida, many species of lizards were banned from sale AND to keep existing pets without a permit & habitat inspection 2 years ago for ecological reasons.
I was a bit put out about it because I was looking to get an axanthic (blue) Iguana at the same time, and they can't even survive the winter in the wild as far north in FL as we live. So why ban the whole state instead of just the south? *sigh*
The pet industry just didn't have the juice to do anything about it, despite a full-effort campaign to reduce the scope.

Back to chickens... The clearest route to target private livestock owners is with land use rules enacted by counties / cities. Which is still a big issue across the whole USA.

I, for one, would like to see California crack down on battery cage operations, like they have on other livestock abuses. Other states would eventually follow. There's no reason animals should have to suffer to keep the meat industry productive.
I agree. It wouldn't be fair if the state of California bans the ownership of chickens, yet restaurants like KFC or Popeyes remain open.

Back
Top Bottom