Lilac Turkeys?

Quote:
Back in the 30's Marsden and Martin said when homozygous for slate (DD) the bronze color would be completely diluted resulting in a comparatively clear, light slate or "Lilac" individual which would breed true when mated among themselves.
This is what I raise.
What Glenn Drowns of Sandhill calls a lilac is not the same geneotype so IMO should not be called a lilac. He has the genotype of his all mixed up anyway.He lists sl as his slate gene and that is the recessive slate gene, (No longer in the US as far as anyone knows). I have also seen pics of what Glenn calls lilacs and also asked the people what the results were when they bred them to non slate birds and it was obvious to me from the results that the dominate slate gene D is what is actually in his combo not sl. As when you breed sl to a non slate then you will not get any slate phenotypes out of it, but with dominate slate D to non slate, slate phenotypes will come out, and that is what happened so that proves right there that his are actually dominate slate.

Anyway we should not be using the exact same names for birds of different genotypes, each should have their own unique variety name.

Marsden and Martin put the name lilac on b+b+DD first so that should be the one we use for this genotype and not for any other one.

That's my opinion on it.

Kevin

Quote:
Back in the 30's Marsden and Martin said when homozygous for slate (DD) the bronze color would be completely diluted resulting in a comparatively clear, light slate or "Lilac" individual which would breed true when mated among themselves.
This is what I raise.
What Glenn Drowns of Sandhill calls a lilac is not the same geneotype so IMO should not be called a lilac. He has the genotype of his all mixed up anyway.He lists sl as his slate gene and that is the recessive slate gene, (No longer in the US as far as anyone knows). I have also seen pics of what Glenn calls lilacs and also asked the people what the results were when they bred them to non slate birds and it was obvious to me from the results that the dominate slate gene D is what is actually in his combo not sl. As when you breed sl to a non slate then you will not get any slate phenotypes out of it, but with dominate slate D to non slate, slate phenotypes will come out, and that is what happened so that proves right there that his are actually dominate slate.

Anyway we should not be using the exact same names for birds of different genotypes, each should have their own unique variety name.

Marsden and Martin put the name lilac on b+b+DD first so that should be the one we use for this genotype and not for any other one.

That's my opinion on it.

Kevin

I see where they say light slate or lilac on page 139-141 but I don't see them naming that color lilac. In fact that say at the top of page 142 that the light slate or lilac birds are the preferred slate color for the show ring. They where called slates at that time.

http://chla.library.cornell.edu/cgi...dno=3317008;didno=3317008;view=image;seq=0148

Last edited:
Quote:
Also see page 143 where that genotype it is called Slate.

Slates were all bronze based at that time, that fact is they did also refer to this genotype as lilac in color.Maybe not officially naming it that but after it was discovered that a black base works way better in making a more even blue colored bird all slates became black based.
So that left the homozygous slated bronze out and now needing an official new name.

In 2000, Paula Johnson of the SPPA said we should refer to the b+b+DD genotype as lilac.
She also stated that what Sandhill raises is not a lilac, but actually a red slate, b+b+Dd basically, but lots of his also carry b1 ,cg ,ng and r as well from what I have seen in the results.

So she is the one who officially named these.

Kevin

Quote:
Also see page 143 where that genotype it is called Slate.

Slates were all bronze based at that time, that fact is they did also refer to this genotype as lilac in color.Maybe not officially naming it that but after it was discovered that a black base works way better in making a more even blue colored bird all slates became black based.
So that left the homozygous slated bronze out and now needing an official new name.

In 2000, Paula Johnson of the SPPA said we should refer to the b+b+DD genotype as lilac.
She also stated that what Sandhill raises is not a lilac, but actually a red slate, b+b+Dd basically, but lots of his also carry b1 ,cg ,ng and r as well from what I have seen in the results.

So she is the one who officially named these.

Kevin

Wow, ok, I'm super new to this and find it not only interesting but confusing. So tell me. I have bronze turkeys (2 hens and a tom) A friend of mine just gave me to baby bronze/blue slate cross. Does this mean I have a chance at getting a lilac, lavendar or a splash turkey when they grow up? Also, if I breed these crosses to my bronze will that give me a better chance at such a beautiful color?

I could be missing something in the translation so that's why I'm asking.

your turkey will only have 1 copy of the bronze gene, and one copy of the blue gene. So if you cross it with a bronze, 50% will be fully bronze, the other 50% will still only carry 1 copy of bronze. The same goes for the slate gene. So you wont get any lilacs in the first generation for sure. maybe in the second generation if you breed the offspring together you'll get visual lilacs but it will be a challenge to know which birds have 2 copies of the bronze gene as i believe its dominant over black so will be seen, but the bird might carry black...

Quote:
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom