Lily has a another PIP!! and Chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 25, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    My little blue broody butt Lily (blue Ameracauna) went broody. She's barely laying eggs herself and since I couldn't break her, I let her have some eggs. I closed off her nesting box today and when I lifted her out to see if she'd go potty, (she stayed totally in a sitting postion, even when I put her on the ground) I noticed she's got a pip! I'm so excited for her. Everybody keep your fingers crossed that she will be a good momma [​IMG] I have 6 little ones in my back room I'd like to give to her to brood if she is.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Wonderful! That is so exciting! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Did you hatch the others yourself or get them from the feed store?

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Hatched the others from my own girls eggs. It's the first time I've ever hatched my own eggs. Pretty poor hatch rate though, 6 out of 16. Looks like they stopped developing last week some time.

Hope Lily has better luck [​IMG]

4. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Lily has a little chick under her. I couldn't look too closely since it's still cool outside. But it looked kinda black. The daddy is a Blue Amercauna and the mom is either a red or black sexlink. Lily's and her sister Hayden's eggs are still too small to hatch so she just got what I had handy in my hand when I decided to let her have eggs. I'm going to wait until it warms up to have a good look see.

So how long to broody's sit on their chicks before trying to show them the world? I need to get her out of the box before that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Yeah for Lily

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    LOL, I don't blame you for wanting to look!

I've got my first broody hen and I can't wait!

7. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I just moved her into a huge dog kennel with nesting box and baby and I noticed that she has another pip.

I'm glad I moved her, she's been without water for quite awhile. I've been sneaking her food and moist veggies in her box. Squash and such so whe wouldn't get dehydrated.

I also put food out for her and her chick. I used Flock Raiser since I had that and it's not medicated or have calcium in it. So it's ok for both of them. She's not laying right now anyway. A little extra protien is probably good for her too.

She won't move from the sitting postion. I took her out of the nesting box, sat her in the kennel and she just sat right where I put her. I had to move the eggs and the chick then I put her on the box. It's all so cute to watch. If I knew she'd be this persistant, I would have moved her days ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by