Lime Versus DE For Odor Control

I live in Alaska and can't vent my hen house when it's real cold .I have deep litter and I use rock phosphate. I was told it binds with the nitrogen.I just know it works and it's great in my garden after i let it cool off some.

we have a window in our girls coop which is open during the day for ventilation and closed at night because we dont want to give a predator a chance to find a way to get in. we do have some who poop in the laying boxes and on top of them so this is cleaned daily when we let them out in the run. we also scrape down the floor in the coop and replace the shaving on the floor once a week. I started using hay in the boxes cause it makes the coop smell so nice so they are getting fresh hay in the boxes each day and we also have clean eggs so its an added bonus.

so is ag lime the same as gardening lime??

Just make sure it's Calcium Carbonate, and NOT Calcium Hydroxide.

The "common" name makes little difference.
Just read the label carefully​

Quote:
Glad that did the trick. When the sand in my coop/run is dry I don't notice any odor. I don't try and scoop up any dropping either. The chickens scratching around tend to rake it nto the sand and break it down.

I believe DE is for mite, lice, flea,and other bug control. I put some in the corners and along the walls of my chicken house. and under my dog beds

I have a coop, it's 6 x 3 sitting on the grass.my hens have not started laying yet there's only three of them, however I'm worried that if I put shavings on the floor of the coop, they will lay eggs in there rather than the nesting boxes.
it's starting to smell pretty bad, and don't know what to do. I have shavings in the nesting boxes with golf balls. I thought I would wait until they were laying in the nesting boxes, and then use shavings for the floor of the coop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom