Lime whitewashing the coop...Your opinions please

What do you use on the inside of your coop?

• Paint

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Lime whitewash

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Nothing

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Other...please comment what you use

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
If anyone is still following this thread, do you know if you can whitewash the interior of a coop that has already been painted? I'm asking because I painted the inside of my coop (really repurposed half of a shed) white, but then read about whitewashing and its benefits regarding mites and lice. Now I'd like to whitewash. Will it change the effectiveness of the whitewash? Will it rub off easier? Does anyone know?

If anyone is still following this thread, do you know if you can whitewash the interior of a coop that has already been painted? I'm asking because I painted the inside of my coop (really repurposed half of a shed) white, but then read about whitewashing and its benefits regarding mites and lice. Now I'd like to whitewash. Will it change the effectiveness of the whitewash? Will it rub off easier? Does anyone know?
This is just theorizing without any experience with whitewash, but if you have a rough sawed inside surface, and you haven't painted it with something like latex, then it might stick to it. But if you applied a glossy paint that has sealed the interior surface, it might be difficult.

I lime washed my coop in the spring.I had read were it would help keep it cooler.I had no idea that it would help deter lice and mites.When my flock went to roost they was always scratching their heads.I sprayed the coop with mite spray and used DE on a weekly basis.And those little boogers was still making my flock miserable.since I did the lime wash they are not digging and scratching at their heads.i hope to do a follow up this fall.Wear old clothes, I had as much on me as I did the coops.its cheap and natural.

This is another "if anyone is still following this thread" question. For those of you who do use lime whitewash, what is involved when it needs a new coat? Does everything need to be hosed out? If so, how long does it take to dry before applying a new coat and how long does THAT take to dry? I find myself wanting to use it for the mite deterant aspect but don't know if I would really keep up with the maintenance when it came down to it.
Oh also, once whitewashed, it painting an option later?

Now following!  I'm going to lime whitewash (hopefully today).  New coop, new chicken momma, girls haven't gotten outside yet.  Ask me in the future how it goes.

Thanks Vehve and Bucky52, Whitewashing seems worth while so I plan to whitewash sometime in the next month, so if you guys are curious I will be sure to post the outcome on here!
how did it work

I have whitewashed my coop for the entire time I have had chickens. I have dealt with lice before which I know the birds got out in the run from other native birds but I have never even seen a mite on my chickens or in the coop. White wash sticks best to unpainted and non oiled/stained wood. Once you paint it on it will be chalky and it the surface might not take paint at a later time. Its not hard to keep up and if you do an annual cleaning (which you should be doing anyway) its easy to do a new coat once the coop is dry. I always did it once a year in the summer. I never had any problems with the wood floor being damaged from the wet or poo in the bedding like I hear so many people talking about when suggesting linoleum for flooring. I thought about changing it up and using a different flooring but I truly do feel the traditional whitewash is best for bird health. It acts similar to DE except I feel its more effective at drying exoskeletons and at the same time its not harmful to the air or soil health. In fact if hydrated lime gets in the soil it just adds essential nutrients. The one place I never painted were the roosts so I never had to worry about the chickens feet being on the slightly caustic paint. The rest of the coop got a nice white coat, floor and wall cracks cracks, nesting boxes, walls, and ceiling on the interior. Please do wear longs sleeves and long pants and gloves and wear a mask when mixing.

I have whitewashed my coop. How long do I have to wait before putting hay and having the chickens back in the coop ? Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom