Limestone Dust??

NormaTheChicken

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2020
So I purchased a few tons of limestone dust this summer to fix up a walkway in my backyard. Shortly after starting the project, I realized it wasn't going to work out. I now have a big pile of limestone dust(really small limestone gravel) in my yard. Also, the floor of my chicken run is in need of repair due to erosion and digging etc. Would there be an issue using the limestone on the chicken run floor?

So I purchased a few tons of limestone dust this summer to fix up a walkway in my backyard. Shortly after starting the project, I realized it wasn't going to work out. I now have a big pile of limestone dust(really small limestone gravel) in my yard. Also, the floor of my chicken run is in need of repair due to erosion and digging etc. Would there be an issue using the limestone on the chicken run floor?
I was just reading up on limestone but it can burn the chickens feet unless it's Barn limestone, and I'm betting yours is not since you bought it by the ton. I wanted it to mix in with my dirt for my chicken floor but after some reading, I am not going to use it.

I was just reading up on limestone but it can burn the chickens feet unless it's Barn limestone, and I'm betting yours is not since you bought it by the ton. I wanted it to mix in with my dirt for my chicken floor but after some reading, I am not going to use it.
Limestone won't burn. Lime might.

How coarse is it?
If it's not too sharp it should be safe. And you'd have a nearly infinite supply of calcium for them.

Limestone won't burn. Lime might.
Thanks for the correction, I had no idea...so I googled it:
Limestone is a sedimentary rock that formed millions of years ago as the result of the accumulation of shell, coral, algal, and other ocean debris. Lime is produced when limestone is subjected to extreme heat, changing calcium carbonate to calcium oxide.

How coarse is it?
If it's not too sharp it should be safe. And you'd have a nearly infinite supply of calcium for them.
It's basically crushed into fine gravel and is used for making a base that will pack in when tamped down. It will more than likely be covered by straw too lol being that the chickens like to kick the straw out of their house all of the time!

Back
Top Bottom