Limping, Bumblefoot likely, what now?

tlagnhoj

Songster
13 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Indy
A 6-month old layer started limping Tuesday. She still isn't getting any better. There are no obvious musculoskeletal issues. And I am pretty sure there's a bumblefoot lesion on the leg she is favoring. It's swollen, not quite the size of a marble. However, it doesn't seem to bother her when I apply pressure, but it must be causing problems because she can bear almost no weight. I've included a pic for verification of this.

Assuming it is bumblefoot, I'm at a loss of what to do, exactly. Soaks in epsom salt seem to be the only consistent recommendation. Do I need to excise the scab immediately after the soak to remove the core? Do I wait a few days after several soakings? How many times a day should I soak it if I take the delayed "surgical" approach?

And finally, what about baby aspirin for pain?

Thanks.

IMG_7238.jpeg

Soak the foot in epsum salts. Then peel back the scab, once it is softened, and soak again.
Bandage the foot.
Try to press out anything that seems infected. (In mine there was a yellowish whitish liquid)
Do this several times.
I did this, and bumble foot went away.

I treated the bumblefoot this morning. There didn't seem to be a big plug. There's a pic of the scab removed (to show how little 'garbage' needed removed) and the wound after I squeezed to remove infected tissue/palpated for a plug that doesn't seem to exist. I think I need reassurance.

She's bandaged well and recuperating in a sectioned off area in the coop. I've been feeding her some mashed hardboiled egg and some melon from the garden. Aside from the limping, she seems to be doing fine. Fingers crossed.

Assuming there isn't any more infection, how long does it take for the limping to stop?

E88AB9AD-6044-4E31-B1BC-E67E50618684.jpeg 113DA6C7-14CF-4841-9DB2-DCE6AE6C92F9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom