Limping Chick - end Corid early to give Chick Boost?

I'm so glad things are looking up. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep improving.

Use the Chick Boost for at least a week, with 2 weeks likely best.

Good luck :fl
LofMc
Another update and a question....
My little SF is doing great! No trace of a limp at all šŸ˜„ They have all been getting water with Chick Boost for two weeks now, and I was wondering, should I keep giving it to them until I run out or should I stop now? Is there any harm in keeping them on it longer than 2 weeks?

She's so chatty and sweet, but she gives some fierce side eye šŸ˜†
20210309_170120.jpg
20210309_170144.jpg

At recommended dose it won't hurt to keep them on it, but at some point they shouldn't need it.

I'd take them off and see how it goes saving the rest for reapplication should any signs raise again.

Just be sure to have them on well balanced chick start feed without amprolium at this point since you likely over dosed that.

You should also introduce a clump of your soil to begin to acclimate them to your soil coccidia. You don't want an actual problem with that once you put them in the coop.

Chances are if your coop is newer with ground that hasn't had poultry a lot, and it is well drained soil, you won't have any problems.

LofMc

At recommended dose it won't hurt to keep them on it, but at some point they shouldn't need it.

I'd take them off and see how it goes saving the rest for reapplication should any signs raise again.

Just be sure to have them on well balanced chick start feed without amprolium at this point since you likely over dosed that.

You should also introduce a clump of your soil to begin to acclimate them to your soil coccidia. You don't want an actual problem with that once you put them in the coop.

Chances are if your coop is newer with ground that hasn't had poultry a lot, and it is well drained soil, you won't have any problems.

LofMc
Thank you! I'll put them on regular water and get a bag of nonmedicated feed today. I have already been putting clumps of grass and soil in there, so good to hear I'm on the right track! My coop isn't new at all, but we haven't had chickens for years so hopefully that's alright. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it ā¤ļø

I'm so glad things are looking up. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep improving.

Use the Chick Boost for at least a week, with 2 weeks likely best.

Good luck :fl
LofMc
What if they have probiotics along with vitamins and electrolytes in they're water? I have a 1 week old chick that has been limping for about 3 - 4 days. I have separated her as she was getting trampled and was not getting to eat or drink like she needed due to being picked on by the others

What if they have probiotics along with vitamins and electrolytes in they're water? I have a 1 week old chick that has been limping for about 3 - 4 days. I have separated her as she was getting trampled and was not getting to eat or drink like she needed due to being picked on by the others
The question is absorption of vitamin b. Amprolium prevents absorption which is what kills the coccidia. Malnutrition from lack of b vitamins.

Feeding medicated chick feed or Corid with vitamins, specifically b, is contraindicated to rid coccidia as they would be getting b vitamins.

So it is a best guess if you get enough Amprolium to build immunity without depleting the chick, or you support the chick without supporting coccidia.

I simply note my chicks and don't give medication unless there are signs I should.

It is a bit tricky if you are fighting coccidiosis. You definitely have to treat the chick then support after treatment.

For signs of b depletion, supplement b without medicated feed so you get the b into the chick.

I know that Iā€™m late to the post, but my bantam SF pullet who was hatched in April has the same exact issues that you described with your chick. This is my first time with the breed. I am treating for coccidiosis, but havenā€™t seen much improvement. She has trouble standing and her toes are curled in slightly. She was perfectly fine before all of this started. I also had a SF cockerel die one month ago with similar symptoms. Iā€™m wondering if it is a vitamin deficiency inherent to the breederā€™s line. I think Iā€™m going to stop treatment for coccidiosis and start her on some poultry cell vitamins. So it was the vitamin B that helped your chick, correct?

I know that Iā€™m late to the post, but my bantam SF pullet who was hatched in April has the same exact issues that you described with your chick. This is my first time with the breed. I am treating for coccidiosis, but havenā€™t seen much improvement. She has trouble standing and her toes are curled in slightly. She was perfectly fine before all of this started. I also had a SF cockerel die one month ago with similar symptoms. Iā€™m wondering if it is a vitamin deficiency inherent to the breederā€™s line. I think Iā€™m going to stop treatment for coccidiosis and start her on some poultry cell vitamins. So it was the vitamin B that helped your chick, correct?

Attachments

• E0C60506-15C8-46D8-B60B-5E88EC25DCD0.jpeg
    E0C60506-15C8-46D8-B60B-5E88EC25DCD0.jpeg
    612.9 KB · Views: 1
She's really cute, I hope she recovers! Yes, my SF started improving after I separated her for about a day, took her (and everyone else) off of Corid and gave her water with a double dose of Chick Boost for a couple days, and then regular strength for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom