Limping chicken - not egg bound, don’t think bumblefoot

MrGaz

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2018
’Gingerbread’ has been limping for about a week now. The internet suggested possibly being eggbound - definitely not the case, or possibly bumblefoot.

Today I have cleaned and inspected her foot & there were two tiny scabby bits there (approx 2mm diameter) could these be hiding bumblefoot? I picked them off and there seems to be nothing but her normal skin underneath. I’ve got her in a warm Epsom salt bath at the moment (which she has ‘dirty protested’ about) but I’m at a bit of a loss as to what could be wrong. She is eating, drinking & laying as normal, but walks with a pronounced limp and stands flamingo like for long periods.

Any ideas welcomed.

Welcome to BYC! :frow It sounds like bumblefoot. Continue to soak in Epsom salt baths and removed the scabs. If you can see hard yellow pus, then it needs to be removed. Spray Vetricyn on the wounded area and wrap lightly with vet wrap. Continue the process until healed. Good luck!

It's not bumblefoot. Gingerbread has somehow sprained or pulled a ligament or tendon, most likely from jumping down from a high roost or other elevated object on your property. I recommend lowering roosts and eliminating other high places.

She needs to be placed in a cage or crate, provide her with food and water. You want to restrict her movement as you dont want her walking and running around causing further injury to her leg.
You can buy vitamin B complex at a pharmacy and crush a few tablets into powder and sprinkle it on top of her feed to eat. The vitamin B complex might help speed up recovery.
Wait 7 days before releasing her to see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and continue with the vitamin B complex. Then release her again in 10 days and observe for improvement. Hopefully she will be walking normally by then.
If she is still limping, she will need more time in the cage in order to heal properly. You can stop the vitamin B complex in her feed.

I've dealt with these types of injuries and they take time to heal, some longer than others depending on the severity of the injury. It could be a couple of weeks or several months.
I've had good results with hens, not so good with roosters.
Time heals, and you have to have patience and Gingerbread needs rest and relaxation.

It's not bumblefoot. Gingerbread has somehow sprained or pulled a ligament or tendon, most likely from jumping down from a high roost or other elevated object on your property. I recommend lowering roosts and eliminating other high places.

She needs to be placed in a cage or crate, provide her with food and water. You want to restrict her movement as you dont want her walking and running around causing further injury to her leg.
You can buy vitamin B complex at a pharmacy and crush a few tablets into powder and sprinkle it on top of her feed to eat. The vitamin B complex might help speed up recovery.
Wait 7 days before releasing her to see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and continue with the vitamin B complex. Then release her again in 10 days and observe for improvement. Hopefully she will be walking normally by then.
If she is still limping, she will need more time in the cage in order to heal properly. You can stop the vitamin B complex in her feed.

I've dealt with these types of injuries and they take time to heal, some longer than others depending on the severity of the injury. It could be a couple of weeks or several months.
I've had good results with hens, not so good with roosters.
Time heals, and you have to have patience and Gingerbread needs rest and relaxation.

Thanks so much, I will do this. How do you make sure that the hens aren’t treated as outsiders once they return to the flock after time away. Would it be useful to have her caged and restricted in the run with the other chickens so that they ‘remember’ her, or just let them duke it out once she’s better?

You can cage her in the run on a trial basis and observe her. If she gets excited while caged, you might want to isolate her away from the flock.
When her leg heals, you can put the cage near the pen so the others can get used to her again. Just try to integrate as best as you can when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom