Limping chicken Possibly eggbound?

maziechicken02

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Hi I have a rhode island red that seems to be eggbound she has been eggbound before. Now about a year later she is limping and won't raise her tail feathers and tries to walk but then eventually falls she has always had a limp since she was eggbound last year but, Its never been this bad I gave her a warm bath just incase she was eggbound. Anything helps.

You should give her a check for egg binding. Put on a latex type glove and lube up the index finger with Ky-Jelly or Vaseline and go straight back into the vent. If she has a stuck egg, it will be within the first inch or so. If you feel one 2 inches back, it is in the uterus and she is not considered egg bound.

If she is egg bound, you will need to lube up the area around the egg really well, and get her soaking in warm, not hot, not too cool but warm water for about 15 mins. Give her some calcium to help with contractions to push out the egg. So some broken up tums or even human calcium will work. You can put the broken pieces in raisins so she will readily eat them. Never bath them unless you are sure they are egg bound. Bathing can lead to chilling and make a sick bird sicker.

This warmth should relax the muscles enough to allow the egg to pass. Get her completely dry and keep her inside for a hour or so and make sure she is eating and drinking before she goes back out to the coop.

If she is not egg bound, you need to give her a thorough exam for puncture wounds from the rooster, sprains, heat or swelling in the hips or legs, foot pads, anywhere she may have become injured.

But do the egg binding check first and if you need help, come back here! :)

Last edited:
You should give her a check for egg binding. Put on a latex type glove and lube up the index finger with Ky-Jelly or Vaseline and go straight back into the vent. If she has a stuck egg, it will be within the first inch or so. If you feel one 2 inches back, it is in the uterus and she is not considered egg bound.

If she is egg bound, you will need to lube up the area around the egg really well, and get her soaking in warm, not hot, not too cool but warm water for about 15 mins. Give her some calcium to help with contractions to push out the egg. So some broken up tums or even human calcium will work. You can put the broken pieces in raisins so she will readily eat them. Never bath them unless you are sure they are egg bound. Bathing can lead to chilling and make a sick bird sicker.

This warmth should relax the muscles enough to allow the egg to pass. Get her completely dry and keep her inside for a hour or so and make sure she is eating and drinking before she goes back out to the coop.

If she is not egg bound, you need to give her a thorough exam for puncture wounds from the rooster, sprains, heat or swelling in the hips or legs, foot pads, anywhere she may have become injured.

But do the egg binding check first and if you need help, come back here! :)
Will do! Yesterday I gave her a warm bath and wrapped her in a towel til she was warm then crushed up some eggshells and put olive oil in the feed it helped a lot last time. But I don't think she ate any of it my fat other chickens probably ate it! Also gonna get some Oyster shells heard those will help too. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom