Limping chicken

DebbieJW

Hatching
Jul 3, 2020
Hi,
I’m new to having chickens after having farm rescued ones a week ago. I have four and they are doing so well. They are around 16 months old.
Two days ago my daughter saw that one climbed our bank and fell (after being pecked by one of the others 🙄) and has been limping since.
Her foot remains open and she does now slightly weight bear. There is no swelling or heat on the leg itself, nor sign of obvious injury but she spends her time lying down.
I carry her back to the coop of an evening and she hobbles out and lies in the sun in the morning (she doesn’t come out until a hour after the others), but isn’t walking around like the others. She just lies there. I give her food and water where she is lying and she eats and drinks well.
I’d really appreciate advice. Should I take her to the vets? Thanks in anticipation 😊

I wouldn’t be worried, but you can seperate her if you wish. You might have a hard time finding a vet with the experience and willingness to examine a chicken though. I live in farm country and there’s not a single vet qualified for working with birds.

I wouldn’t be worried, but you can seperate her if you wish. You might have a hard time finding a vet with the experience and willingness to examine a chicken though. I live in farm country and there’s not a single vet qualified for working with birds.
Thank you 😊

She’s doing ok. The other hens initially pecked at her head/ back when she rested but they soon ignored her. (There’s no obvious injury for them to be interested in), She rested in the coop initially and I left food and water next to her. She’d then limp out and rest outside and again I’d leave food and water next to her. I carried her back to her coop one evening but that aside she’s up and about and doing more/ less limping. I worried that she dislocated it but can’t see any abnormality and there wasn’t any heat / swelling. Hope you chook makes a quick recovery!

Back
Top Bottom