Limping chicken

Akgirlalways

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2021
I currently have 2 hens that are about 5 months old. 1 of them started limping the other day and its progressively gotten worse. She almost seems to swing her foot as she walks. Today when i picked her up i noticed that her foot on the hurt leg doesn't fold in like the other does. I can bend her toes myself but its as if she has no control of the foot :/ she doesn't seem to be in pain, no noticeable swelling or external injuries that i can find. She still gets around just rather slowly, qny suggestions on what could be wrong? Im planning to take her to the vet but it will have to wait a few weeks until i have the money.

Many of us have seen this symptom in our flocks that carry an avian virus. My flock has avian leucosis, a virus similar to Marek's. Marek's also produces this symptom of progressive lameness.

It's progressive because usually the sciatic nerve is affected first, becoming inflamed, and causing lameness that, over the next few months becomes paralysis.

However, other conditions can mimic the symptoms of serious disease and they're treatable. I could make a guess if I knew your location with its climate and weather as cold exposure can cause these symptoms. Toxic exposure can cause them. Vitamin deficiency can cause them. Even stress and shock can cause them.

Try giving her sugar water first to see if dehydration and hunger may be responsible. Also start her on B-complex to get B-2, 6, and 12 into her as this deficiency can cause nerve connections to become inflamed. Give her one tablet directly into her beak daily. No, she won't have any problem swallowing a pill.

If this doesn't produce any improvement, then you can assume a virus is responsible.

Back
Top Bottom