Limping Chicken

Skibum

Songster
May 6, 2022
Chicken approx 2 months old. She was vaccinated for Mareks is presenting with a limp. She can still fly around and walk although seems to prefer lying down. She does not have signs of bumble foot and I don’t think it looks like leg mites. I will attach a video and photos I realize they aren’t the best. I isolated her to a dog kennel in the coop and left water with nitro drench in the kennel. Any advice? She seems to favor her right leg.

Can’t seem to upload the video from my phone hmm.. C0B67228-4546-43ED-B2FF-EBD74D4DB07C.jpeg DB52B4AC-6063-4450-82C2-473BF31EB1B0.jpeg

I swear by 1/2 of a baby aspirin daily for a few days to magically make minor injuries go away. If it doesn't work, then you know you have something more serious, but plenty of times if there's nothing visually wrong they just pulled something funny and the aspirin will fix them up in a few days.

Obviously I am not a vet, so maybe take this with a grain of salt.

Best wishes!

EDIT: Just re-read and realized she is only 2 months, so maybe don't take my advice with such a young hen. I wouldn't want to experiment with the dosage on one so small.

I isolated her to a dog kennel in the coop and left water with nitro drench in the kennel. Any advice?

That sounds like what I would do. Maybe a few days off her feet and running around with the other chickens will help her heal faster. Probably just a simple sprain and not much to worry about at this time. Good food and water, some rest, and she might well recover on her own.

Best of luck.

That sounds like what I would do. Maybe a few days off her feet and running around with the other chickens will help her heal faster. Probably just a simple sprain and not much to worry about at this time. Good food and water, some rest, and she might well recover on her own.

Best of luck.
Ok thank you!

Update: I have seen no improvement with keeping her isolated. If anything the use of her legs has only gotten worse. I had her on Nutridrench for about a week but have switched back to regular water because I saw that it can cause diarrhea if you use it for too long. I purchased some vitamin e and selenium gel for goats bc I read that can help. She ate some off my finger I didn’t give more than about a pea sized amount. I’m not sure she ate all of it but at least some. I’m not sure how often to give it or when there might be improvement. Can anyone give me more info.

She is still eating and drinking but I am starting to consider culling because she looks very uncomfortable. I want to try the suppliments for a while since I have them….

Back
Top Bottom