limping chicken

how can i tell - or more importantly how do i cure???? I'm not kidding myself am i - honestly does it sound like meraks?

You know, it might be a dislocated hip. Do you have a rooster and was the pullet with him? We had a hen like that, and we thought she'd injured her leg or foot...wasn't til we took her to the vet that he felt the hip popped out of the socket. It's a hard thing to correct. We couldn't figure out what happened to her but I think the over-enthusiastic rooster did it....too bad, cause she was his favorite hen! You could feel around on her body and see if you can feel if the hip is in the proper place.

Yes we do have a young rooster but they are both still too young for that kind of thing ??? they are about 3 months old and no sign of eggs yet!
Anyway back to your point the hips do feel a little different not quite sure how but they are different. You mentioned that he WAS the favorite? Does that mean the unquestionable??

Still no signs of improvement but she still has her normal clucky charector 6chickens is getting worried that we might have to take action were off to the vets again tomorrow to get an xray

Yes, unfortunately. The vet tried to put the hip back, and broke her leg in the process. Then (we think) he tried to cover it up by saying it was broken in the first place and he just didn't notice the additional fracture. Surgery was the only option and there was no way we could afford it; basically, he talked us out of euthanizing her and told us to take her home, that she wasn't in that much pain, and would learn how to hop around. We took her home while trying to decide what to do. A few days later, we took her to a Bubbles n Blessings animal shelter fund raiser at our church. The pastor blessed her and we prayed for her. Two days later she was dead; we found her in her cage with her waterer and fan both knocked over...it was VERY hot, so she died from the heat, probably, but it was an unusual set of circumstances. Anyway, in your case if that's what it is I know that many animals will develop a very good artificial joint, and can eventually walk pretty well despite that kind of injury. But if you're going to try to have a vet put the hip back, do it soon, because the longer you wait, the harder it becomes, til it becomes impossible..

The vet has told us that is impossible to relocate a dislocated hip and that she doesnt think it is dislocted and its not broken. she thinks its nerve damage as she has no grab reflex. at the moment she is still inside and i'm trying to teach her how to hop as she hasnt got the hang of that yet!! It does really brake your heart seeing an animal hurt and not knowing what to do and not knowing what is wrong!!

When we first got chickens I read about something someone did for their pet hen that I thought was a great idea; I've never been able to find that story again; it was something I googled and I don't know what happened to it...but anyway, their hen had heat stroke, which caused brain damage, so she couldn't walk. They made a sling for her out of a pair of old shorts, and hung it on the clothesline, then stuck her in there. She could then sort of use her legs, and simulate standing... like one of those things you can buy for babies. We were going to try that with our Red hen, but didn't get a chance. Their hen eventually died, but I guess it made her happy for a while. I can't imagine any of ours tolerating being suspended in a pair of old shorts, but it would be fun trying, anyway! It might help yours learn to figure out how to get around.

Back
Top Bottom