limping chicken

6chickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 23, 2007
Hi, my 15week old pullet wyndotte has got a severe limp she is fine on one leg but the other one she can hardly use she's walking on her elbow (where the feathers meet the scales on the leg). She doesnt appear to have bumble foot and after researching mareks i dont think it is that as she can use the other one and theres no other symptons (apart from green poo!!) i've taken her indoors now and bandaged the joint a little for support - anyone know how long this will take to heal or if i've done anything wrong?? could it just be a sprain or a strain?

Sounds like she might have strained it...maybe jumping down from the roost!?? You are on the right track...bring her inside...keep her in a small cage, where she cant jump around much, and watch her to make sure she is eating and drinking. Might not hurt to give her a little vitamin support as well. Infant liquid vitamins. This could take a few weeks to heal. Then you have to reintroduce her to the flock.

Thankyou this is one of my first chickens and first injury she seems quite alert and wants to flap around and wants to eat just getting her to drink is a bit of a chore!!-

she is showing no signs of improvement in fact she is holding her leg right out in front of her!! Help?!?
sad.png

i've looked in to meraks and i dont know whether i am just kidding myself or being optimistic but i just dont think that is what its is - she is extremely alert no clouding over of the eyes at all she has lost no weight or feathers (apart from when she flaps to get balanced!!) she's eating and drinking fine - i am just totally lost i just thought there would be some sort of improvement?!?

there is no signs of paralysis of the wings either - she does drop one to help her balance but that is only when she is on the floor and wants to move otherwise her wings are perfectly in place

Back
Top Bottom