Limping hen

whatthechickens

Chirping
Nov 15, 2023
Our hen Gobbles was limping today, hopping on one leg. No obvious injuries perhaps slight swelling, could be sprained or fractured leg.

There was a severe thunderstorm last night and all the hens were huddled in the nest box this morning which never happened before. We had lightning hit next door, perhaps that scared the hens in the dark and Gobbles fell down?

Have her in a temporary hospital inside, feeding her favourite foods within reach so she doesn't have to walk. Am thinking to leave her inside overnight as she will have trouble climbing to the perch? At what point should I let her back as I think she is missing her friends and is stressed out?

I wouldn't bother separating her if the limp is not hard. It goes away within a week.

If it is preventing them from doing regular chicken stuff I separate them in a closed off area inside the coop with food and water. That way they can see the other hens and don't get stressed out. It also prevents the other hens from bullying the injured one, it happens. If you don't/can't have a separate area inside the coop and the limping is bad what you are doing atm is best - let her stay in a different place for a couple of days while she recovers.

How to judge if the limp is a bad one?
If she can run, even if she skips stepping on the injured leg or hops a bit while running, it's ok to put her with the flock. Should recover within the week (the younger the chicken the faster it heals).
If she can stay on a perch it's fine to let her be with the flock.

If she cannot run and/or it messes with her balance to a point where she is falling to one side or leaning extremely to one side then she should be separated. The latter is a serious injury that takes 2 weeks to heal at least.
If she can't stay on the perch or falls off of it keep her separated.

I would bring her in and soak her feet/legs in warm Epsom salt water for about 5 minutes. She should like that. Then look at the bottom of her foot for a black scab or just a large bump. Once her feet return to normal temp, see if that bump feels hot. It could be she got bumblefoot. If you find that's true, just search bumblefoot using the search on here and you'll find a plethora of threads and articles on here about how to treat it.

If not, then soaking her feet and legs might just help her soreness so it would help either way.

I, personally would place her in a separate area inclosed in the coop with her own food and water. Extra protein will help her heal faster. That way her flock can see her and she can see her flock. Make sure she is healed before just letting her back with the flock, as you will have some pecking order issues, even with them being able to see and chat with each other. However this method does make reintegration a little easier.
Good luck with pretty girl. :love
Let us know how she is doing.

Spend some time with her in the coop today, and if you can take a video to upload to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. If she can’t walk or is limping, the others may attack her, or they may not. Resting the leg and foot can help. Any pictures of the injured leg to check for swelling, green bruising, or a small scrape may help. Do look for a small cut or scab on the foot pad. A wire dog crate with food and water inside the coop or run is a great way to separate her if needed, and for her to stay a part of the flock. A chicken sling can be fashioned for her if she is really lame. Some injuries may improve in a day, a week, or several weeks. Some find that human vitamin B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet daily crushed in a small amount of egg or feed may help.

Thanks everyone, she stayed inside overnight and hasn't laid an egg which is probably due to the stress. Have her back in the coop now and she hops to get food but otherwise seems to be content resting in her little burrow.
Her foot doesn't seem lame as she sometimes stands on two legs but really prefers one.
I only have three hens and they all get along well.
Will see how she goes on the perch tonight.
Thanks again!

Right after I posted she laid an egg and went to all the trouble climbing up to the nest to do so!
At the moment just laying on her side and resting, I think the issue may be her upper leg/thigh. She hops to get water or food and then rests. She still seems very active and curious trying to reach bugs or dig with her beak so am hopeful she will recover!

Thanks for everyone's help.
Just an update that Gobbles has mostly recovered, is digging and running with the best of them but has an uneven gait. There were never any scratches or scabs on her feet so am assuming it might be dislocation or something in upper leg where it is harder to see.

Back
Top Bottom