Limping cockerel for no obvious reason, how long before putting him down

Henfla

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Tromsø, Norway
My beautiful 20 weeks old cockerel started limping on wednesday, and it is obvious that his left foot is painful. I have checked the foot and I can not find any reason for his pain. I feel bad for him even though he is eating and drinking etc, but I don't want him to be in constant pain for too long. How long would you wait to see if it improved before putting him down?

Are you positive it’s not bumblefoot? How much does it seem to be hurting him? If you have low trees or tall roost, he might have hurt himself flying down. I wouldn’t recommend putting him down just because he’s limping, but if it really becomes too much to handle, you can give him away.

Are you positive it’s not bumblefoot? How much does it seem to be hurting him? If you have low trees or tall roost, he might have hurt himself flying down. I wouldn’t recommend putting him down just because he’s limping, but if it really becomes too much to handle, you can give him away.
Yes. I have inspected his feet very carefully like 10 times now, and there is nothing there. It is hard do determine how much pain he is in because I can't really ask him, but he stands with his foot up and doesn't want to put his body weight on it. I've tried giving him metacam but it doesn't help.

I can't give him away because there is already too many roosters out there and surely no one would want a limping one. It's not about him being too much to handle, it's about not letting him suffer

Maybe it's joint pain, etc? I had a roo that had a stroke and limped for 2 years, gave him pain management and he lived the rest of his life otherwise happy until dying of old age in his sleep.

Did you feel up his entire leg and his hips as well?

Is he mounting hens?

Is he the only male in your flock? If not, he might have had a fight with another male and suffer from the aftermath.

Sprains for instance can take a while to get better, no reason to put him down though.

Unless it is so bad that he can't get to food, water, can't walk at all, etc. there is no need to put him down at this point, imo.
To me it sounds like he might have sprained/strained it, which can take up to a few months to heal.
You could try keeping him in a dog grate for a little while, so he has to rest it, and see if it improves at all.
If, after a few months it is the same or worse, that would be the time to think about putting him down.
Can you post a video of him? (you will need to upload to YT, or something, and then provide a link)

Did you feel up his entire leg and his hips as well?

Is he mounting hens?

Is he the only male in your flock? If not, he might have had a fight with another male and suffer from the aftermath.

Sprains for instance can take a while to get better, no reason to put him down though.
Yes, I have felt his entire leg and hip.
Yes, he is mounting hens, and still does.
He's the only male.

Unless it is so bad that he can't get to food, water, can't walk at all, etc. there is no need to put him down at this point, imo.
To me it sounds like he might have sprained/strained it, which can take up to a few months to heal.
You could try keeping him in a dog grate for a little while, so he has to rest it, and see if it improves at all.
If, after a few months it is the same or worse, that would be the time to think about putting him down.
Can you post a video of him? (you will need to upload to YT, or something, and then provide a link)
Ok, thanks. He eats and drinks like normal, but he is much slower than he was and he wants to lie down alot. He is a bit nervous, so I think he would be very stressed if I put him in a crate and I think he would just pace back and forth. I try to carry him around a bit or put him on my lap so he can rest his legs and he seems to like that.

Back
Top Bottom