Possible sprain?

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
A young cockerel, 14 weeks old. Normally quite active, but yesterday afternoon I noticed him limping quite badly and spending most of his time lying down, sort-of angled up to avoid putting pressure on his right leg.This morning he is isolated in the run and I opened the main coop door for the girls.

The other cockerel is insisting on staying with him.

The leg appears normal, no sign of swelling or heat. Both feet look the same, no apparent bumblefoot. The shoulder (?) functions normally. He's walking on his knee part of the time, but it obviously hurts. He hesitates before putting his foot on the ground and tries to avoid putting weight on it.

One of the girls (nicknamed The Beast) chases the cockerels relentlessly, so I assume he was running away from her and twisted the ankle, since he was fine earlier yesterday.

We'll see how he's doing tomorrow morning. Both boys are eating like food is about to be outlawed, and drinking normally. Poop looks normal. I put B complex and a tiny bit of acv in their water.

Shall I let them back into the coop to roost, or leave them in the run overnight?

I would place him somewhere secure so a predator can't reach him.

Sounds like he's self limiting activity, but sometimes it's necessary to place an injured bird into a kennel within the coop/run for protection or rest.

Re-check his leg again tomorrow and look for any signs of green bruising.
Make sure he can get to food/water o.k.

I remember your other thread about the drama. That will likely settle down, but it seems the hens definitely want to make sure the cockerels are not welcome. Do you need boys? What are your goals?

Thanks. The run is secure. I let them back into the coop last night and put a board up to the roost so he could get up.

This morning I'll do the same, lock the boys in the run for the day and let the girls free range.

They are my F1 crosses with the Biel genes. Beauty and the Beast are less important to the project than the boys, since I already have the BA genes mixed in. Once I have another set of pullets laying the older hens will be rehomed.

The limping is less but still very obvious. The boys are back in the run, the coop open to the outside so the girls can get to their boxes.

He was walking almost normally this morning, and each time I've gone out he's been on his feet. Progress!

The limp gets worse throughout the day, bit I think that's pretty normal. Another couple days, I think.

Walking normally now. I'll give him a few more days isolation. His "mom" has been hanging around and crying non-stop, but she's going to have to deal. Once he no longer needs daily attention he's going in the bachelor pad.

He's limping again. I think he's been hiding it for the last few days, as he has been sleeping under the roost. I've been hesitating to put him in the bachelor pad because of the cold.

He is currently 16 weeks, his brother 18 weeks. Should I isolate them both? His brother is not hurt, but I also don't want him to be alone.

The bachelor pad was never intended to be used in the winter, bit I think thats the best option for now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom