Limping Cornish Cross

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
On Wednesday 24th a couple of wonderful people rescued a little Cornish Cross that was stuck by a riverbank in Northern New Jersey. The little one, who I suspect is a ~7 week old roo, came to live with us that same day and is currently quarantined from the other chickens. The first couple of days were a little rough, his crop was so full of who knows what, very pale comb, and he had some very bloody stool. His crop did eventually go down and has been normal since. We finished a course of Corid and poops have been normal since Monday. Yesterday, Thursday 2nd, he has developed a pretty significantly limp and the joint on that side feels a little swollen. I'm going to call the vet in the morning but figured I'd see if I could gather some ideas from the people here!

IMG_20211128_182150_525.jpg
20211203_194802.jpg

How is he doing?
You see swelling of the joint? Can you feel if the tendon is slipped out of place?

I would give him 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily to see if that helps with the legs.

With him being a Cornish Cross and already having some issue with the legs, the problem may worsen as he gets older and heavier.
Are you keeping him as a pet? I'm assuming since you know what breed he is, you also understand that most do not live for a very long time due to leg and/or organ health issues.

How is he doing?
You see swelling of the joint? Can you feel if the tendon is slipped out of place?

I would give him 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily to see if that helps with the legs.

With him being a Cornish Cross and already having some issue with the legs, the problem may worsen as he gets older and heavier.
Are you keeping him as a pet? I'm assuming since you know what breed he is, you also understand that most do not live for a very long time due to leg and/or organ health issues.
The joint is definitely swollen and hot. We've started antibiotics today. I like the idea of adding in B-Complex.

I am keeping him as a pet. He'll be my second Cornish Cross, Kit is our 1 year old CX dude.

Thank you for the information! I included the xray if you're interested.
IMG_20211204_182406_007.jpg

The joint is definitely swollen and hot. We've started antibiotics today. I like the idea of adding in B-Complex.

I am keeping him as a pet. He'll be my second Cornish Cross, Kit is our 1 year old CX dude.

Thank you for the information! I included the xray if you're interested.
View attachment 2918968
Poor little guy!
I hope the antibiotics help. Sounds like he's in good hands:)

Back
Top Bottom