Limping duck

HappyDuckie

🙄🤚 Almighty Queen of Orplingtons 🥶🙏💙
Sep 30, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
Yesterday afternoon, a noticed one of my ducks limping. I checked all over both feet and legs, and couldn't find anything. No sores, wounds, or bumbles. No swelling or hotness, either. I washed off her feet to be sure. Today she started limping worse, and again I checked her feet and legs. Nothing. She gets a niacin supplement, so I'm pretty positive it isn't a niacin issue. I thought maybe my drake was being too rough when mating, so I emptied out their pool yesterday. I had them separated for a while, too. I put them back together since my drake was throwing a fit. A vet is not an option, at least not at the moment. If it continues to get worse, it is a possibility, although I don't think there are any vets near me that will treat her. I hate seeing her hurt. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can get pictures of her feet in the morning. Thanks in advance.

We're you able to tell if there was swelling, or if the leg was warmer than the other?

Ducks, especially heavyweight breeds, develop strains, and sprains in their legs, often due to them tripping over objects, or getting their feet caught/pulled in things. Ducks are good at swimming but are poor walkers on land. If it's a pretty minor limp, you could probably just leave her out with the flock, and it should resolve itself over a week or two. If more severe, you may consider setting up a little pen for her to reduce movement in the leg and reduce the chance of her reinjuring it.

Administering B vitamins and Omega 3's may help with the leg and joint health. Letting her swim in deep cold water a few times a day would be good, as well as soaking the leg in some Epsom saltwater. Ensure her environment, is fairly padded, and free of things she may get her feet, caught or tripped on. Generally, these problems just need timeto resolve.

No, neither leg was swollen or felt hot. How do I give the B vitamins?

You can get vitamin B cattle complex from your feed store, and add a few drops over her feed, or sprinkle two tablespoons of brewers yeast over her feed, or sprinkle a little bit of niacin powder over her feed. Either way will work.

You can get vitamin B cattle complex from your feed store, and add a few drops over her feed, or sprinkle two tablespoons of brewers yeast over her feed, or sprinkle a little bit of niacin powder over her feed. Either way will work.
I already give her niacin powder in her feed. Is there anything else I can do to keep her comfortable? I’ll give her a epsom salt bath in the morning.

I already give her niacin powder in her feed. Is there anything else I can do to keep her comfortable? I’ll give her a epsom salt bath in the morning.

There are a few more things you can do, but from the sounds of it, its likely an injury, and it's going to need to heal on its own. Doing too much to reduce the pain can cause her to walk on the leg too soon, and reinjure it even more. Reducing movement, administering vitamins, soaking the leg in water, and ensuring her area is padded well is the most I would do, personally.

There are a few more things you can do, but from the sounds of it, its likely an injury, and it's going to need to heal on its own. Doing too much to reduce the pain can cause her to walk on the leg too soon, and reinjure it even more. Reducing movement, administering vitamins, soaking the leg in water, and ensuring her area is padded well is the most I would do, personally.
Ok, thank you for your advice.

Dumb question- is it ok if she drinks the Epsom salt water? I'm not sure I could keep her from drinking it.

It's not going to cause her harm by drinking the Epsom Salt water, but it does act as a laxative, so it would be best to either stand by her, and make sure she doesn't drink much, or just use plain water instead.

I gave her a bath earlier. The drake is separated, so she can continue to swim in her pool. This morning she wasn’t limping at all, or possibly she was slightly it was just unnoticeable. She started limping a bit more after I was carrying her around. It’s definitely not as extreme as yesterday. When I was watching her walk, her right leg (the one causing her to limp) seemed to be bowed inwards. I’ve never noticed it before.

Back
Top Bottom