Limping Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nigella, Mar 17, 2018.

1. nigella

nigella In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2018
    I received 6 Welsh Harlequins in the mail on Wednesday. Yesterday evening (Friday) one of them started limping and still is doing so. I couldn’t figure out the cause and the leg doesn’t look broken or deformed to my untrained eyes. She can get around ok and eat and drink. I’ve seen some advice here for older ducklings to isolate them so they heal, but I don’t know if that would be too tough on such a young one.
    Thank you for any advice.

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Have you started your new ducklings on Nutritional yeast, Brewers yeast or plain niacin? If you using chick starter they need this. It helps keep their legs strong and chick starter doesn't have enough niacin for water fowl.

Could someone have stepped on her sometimes littles can get trampled hopefully it's just a small sprain, as long as she isn't getting stepped on or picked on I'd leave her with the rest but if you notice her being stepped on you may want separate her with another sib to keep her company while she heals.

casportpony likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm sure it's fine. Ducklings are clumsy and I would not get too worried at all..People worry but it's generally nothing..

4. nigella

nigella In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2018
    Thank you everybody! I've been feeding a flock raiser and I added nutritional yeast. They are all looking good and the limp is all better.
    Everyone said they grow fast but I can't believe it!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

:woot awesome news!!

casportpony likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Glad your duckling is better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: