Limping Ducks Help!

KaciPosh

Hatching
May 2, 2023
Hi All,

Two of our female Pekins are having trouble walking and I am hoping for some advice to help them before we make the call to put them down.

They are roughly two years old and came to us at around a year old. They have always walked a little off but we’ve noticed it getting significantly worse these past few months. We’ve tried keeping them confined to a small area and extra niacin. From what I have read it seems like this is just going to keep getting worse until they are completely lame but I am not sure.

One duck seems to be stepping on her own feet. The other on just seems to have a hard time moving around. They both barely forage but are eating and drinking as normal. They spend most of their time just laying down. Legs are warm but not hot and there is now starting to be some swelling.

It is not bumble foot. I do not believe they are egg bound.

They are progressively getting worse and are unfortunately reaching the point of what I think is a poor quality of life.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Whether it be ideas to help or just someone to confirm that we need to make the sad decision to let them go.

TIA!

Hi All,

Two of our female Pekins are having trouble walking and I am hoping for some advice to help them before we make the call to put them down.

They are roughly two years old and came to us at around a year old. They have always walked a little off but we’ve noticed it getting significantly worse these past few months. We’ve tried keeping them confined to a small area and extra niacin. From what I have read it seems like this is just going to keep getting worse until they are completely lame but I am not sure.

One duck seems to be stepping on her own feet. The other on just seems to have a hard time moving around. They both barely forage but are eating and drinking as normal. They spend most of their time just laying down. Legs are warm but not hot and there is now starting to be some swelling.

They are progressively getting worse and are unfortunately reaching the point of what I think is a poor quality of life.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Whether it be ideas to help or just someone to confirm that we need to make the sad decision to let them go.

TIA!
To correct a niacin deficiency, you need B complex
Niacin rich treats won't cut it- what feed are they currently on?

Folks here use the Durvet B complex from tractor supply, 1 ml over a treat daily, each.
They need to get that full dose.
You may want to give them even more, though, since this is getting quite bad
You could get niacin capsules. Flush effect, not flush free, and mix them in their water buckets

Hi All,

TIA!
I would definitely try treating them, I'd give it at least a couple weeks, maybe longer, of doing the niacin treatments. You could also try supervised water therapy, cool water to try and reduce swelling in their legs. I say supervised, as they may struggle to get in and out, or may not be waterproofing their feathers, so it's important to watch them. About 10-20 minutes daily, if you can. It could help.

I'd try this for a while, and if you see absolutely no improvement, then euthanasia may be the best option. If you can get to one, a vet would be able to make a more certain diagnosis and suggest treatments based on that, but I get that vets aren't always a possibility.

Just wanted to say thank you for the information. We did all the things including vitamin B shots and we honestly cannot believe the turn around in our girls. Still have a little ways to go before they’re 100% but they’re walking around now and it doesn’t hurt my heart to look at them anymore!

I had a duck with this issue; he started limping at around 1.5 years and we couldn’t understand why. We couldn’t bear to put him down, he was the sweetest duck ever, but a lady was kind enough to take him and his “wife” in - she could care for him much better than we could. I am sorry you’re having this problem with your ducks!

Just wanted to say thank you for the information. We did all the things including vitamin B shots and we honestly cannot believe the turn around in our girls. Still have a little ways to go before they’re 100% but they’re walking around now and it doesn’t hurt my heart to look at them anymore!
Such great news

Back
Top Bottom