limping hen, hardly walking, no signs of injury

featheredbelles

Chirping
May 9, 2015
Helol everybody,my balance is limping for a few weeks now. First I wasn't worried,but now she's hardly walking at all. Sitting a lot.still eating/drinking. Can't feel/see anything unusual. I wondering if I should give her antibiotics. I will leave town in a week for about 2 weeks and I don't want to leave her like this. I have somebody taking care of my chickens,but it's not an experienced " chicken person". So my questions are
1 what could she have?
2 should I try a antibiotics?
3 I have duramycin-10 at home.is that the right kind?
THANK YOU for any help!

Helol everybody,my BSL is limping for a few weeks now. First I wasn't worried,but now she's hardly walking at all. Sitting a lot.still eating/drinking. Can't feel/see anything unusual. I wondering if I should give her antibiotics. I will leave town in a week for about 2 weeks and I don't want to leave her like this. I have somebody taking care of my chickens,but it's not an experienced " chicken person". So my questions are
1 what could she have?
2 should I try a antibiotics?
3 I have duramycin-10 at home.is that the right kind?
THANK YOU for any help!

How old is the hen? When you look at her leg and foot, do you see any swelling or black spots on the bottom of the foot pad, or any swelling in the joints, or bruising anywhere on the leg? Pictures may help. In younger chickens, a leg injury or Mareks disease might be a problem. In older birds, again an injury may be a problem, but sometimes hen who are laying internally or who have egg yolk peritonitis or ascites may have problems walking. Is she laying presently? Has she been vaccinated for Mareks?

My is almost2 mths. No swelling that I can see. No vaccinations. How old do they need to be for vaccinations?

Thank you, eggcessive! She layed an egg 2 days ago. She should be about 4 years old.i'll send a pic of her feet.

For the four year old hen - I would say it could be something related to old age. I had some older hens that got arthritis and would walk slow or with a weird gait. They couldn't get down from the chicken ladder in the morning so I had to help them. The pic of the hen's feet looks a bit strange to me. The back toe should be pointing away from the other toes. Also, the toenails on one foot are worn down a lot more than on the other foot. I'd guess she has had something going on with one leg for some time now. Hopefully it is arthritis or something she can learn to cope with.

For the 2 month old, I'm more worried about Marek's disease. Do you have any other chicks? Chicks are very susceptible to Marek's Virus for the first 6 months or so of life. If you vaccinate, it is supposed to be done at one day old. It has to be done before they are exposed to the virus since their immune system needs about 3 weeks to build antibodies. If they are exposed to the virus before they have the antibodies they can still come down with the disease.

There is nothing you can do but wait and see if it is Marek's or something else. If your chick can get around and eat fine, there is a chance of recovery. If not, it might be best to have the chick test by the state lab so you know what you are dealing with.

thank you ochochicas! I never thought of old age, she seemed fit and healthy until about a month ago. But yeah...I guess things have changed. She really sits a lot. Regarding her feet: The bad one is her left one, which would explain that the right one is more worn down. I'm a little worried about complications...could she get egg bound since she's not moving much? Is there a way to prevent that? I still have her together with my other chickens (I only have 2 more) and they don't peck on her or anything, so that's fine, right? Anything that could ease the pain? I guess I will have to bathe her more often now, 'cause she tends to have a poopy buttom from sitting. She still gets up for treats though, even if it takes her a bit longer ;-) Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom