Limping on left foot

Chicken Charm

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I have a 2 month old bantam easter egger who started favoring her left foot a few days ago. She seems fine except for the limp. I've done some research on Marek's and its totally confusing. Seems as though it could be a number of things that could be causing her to limp. I have her with a flock of 6 other chicks her age and two who are 2 and 1/2 months old. Any helpful suggestions?

Last edited:
I did check her foot out for bumblefoot. The foot and bottom of it looks perfectly normal. Poor thing
sad.png

Limping can be so many things including the dreaded Mareks. Does she hold the leg up and hop, or does she drag it? Examine the entire leg for swelling, especially around joints, and redness.Confine her in a small crate with food, water, and vitamins for a week, and if you can keep her in the coop and run so she can see the others, that would keep from having to re-integrate her which is a nightmare. After a week , let her out, and if she is still limping put her back for another week. Aspirin 80mg Low Dose 1/2 tablet can be given twice a day for pain, but only give it if she seems in pain.

I have a hen, 10-11 months old, who started limping and holding up her left foot. I check for bumblefoot but all appears to be normal. Tonight she didnt even jump up to the roost. She is sleeping on the bedding inside the coop. Her egg today had a somewhat sandpaper like egg shell. Im not sure what to do. We were out of town this weekend and I noticed it when I got home Friday. Should I separate her?

Back
Top Bottom