Limping peacock

I gave him his first dose but it made no difference at all except it seemed to make him a little sleepy. I'm worried about him. How long would be practical to try him with it before I switch to something like Prednisone?

I gave him his first dose but it made no difference at all except it seemed to make him a little sleepy. I'm worried about him. How long would be practical to try him with it before I switch to something like Prednisone?
You better talk with your vet about giving prednisone. Please do not use that unless you vet tells you to.

I will. I had an old rooster who had a similar lameness issue last year. I gave him prednisone successfully under the vet's guidance and in that case it did help. I'll discuss it with the vet tomorrow. It could be Mycoplasma Synovae I suppose; I have Denagard, I wonder if I should try that for him. But, I don't see any swollen joints or anything. Nothing.

I'm not sure the vet will know though the correct Prednisone dosage for the peacock. Any thoughts on that? I'm worried about it because I am going out of town soon for a few days and he will have someone caring for him, but I'm trying to make sure he won't get worse while I'm gone. We are so fond of him as we've had him since a baby and he's ten years old now, so if he doesn't get better soon I'll most likely take him to an avian vet.

@casportpony could it be arthritis? I know I have it and hurt a lot and hobble around somedays,even with out swelling
@chicknmania, is there a zoo you could call in your area, they most definitely would have staff that knows

I talked to the vet today. He wants to research the dosage info on Meloxydyl before he prescribes more. Hes not an avian vet but he has taken some courses on avian veterinary medicine and feels that t hat dose of Meloxydyl might severely damage the birds organs. Meloxydyl and meloxicam are not the same ...they are different compounds. And I think I should respect his caution. Hes an old school country guy but he does have years of experience with livestock. Sapphire is in any case much better today.

Meloxydyl and meloxicam are not the same ...they are different compounds.
What compounds are they? This says it's meloxicam.:idunno I think we might have to agree to disagree on this.:hugs

meloxicam_9.png meloxicam_8.png

Sapphire is in any case much better today.
That's great news!

Last edited:
I believe you as I seen to remember giving that much to one of our peahens several years ago. Like I said. .hes not an avian vet so he just needs to figure it out. It was his tech that told me th hey were different compounds.

This is the same thing, just a different name. This was for treating a nine-pound hen and I was told I could increase it to 1.5ml if I thought I needed to.View attachment 1909895
I gave him a half yesterday and one today and he seems to be improving. Thanks. The vet continues to feel that a short course of Prednisone is safer, but we'll see if he needs it.

Back
Top Bottom