Limping pekin

I have seen many come on BYC their Pekins with swollen legs feet, toes, It’s not an unusual thing. They can injure their legs pretty easily being large breed. Or getting a wound that leads to infection. Right now we don’t really know what’s going on hopefully the vet will know and treat her and get her healed up.

Last edited:
Hey Miss Lydia
Well I thought I had a vet but it will be my last resort. My vet will not treat exotic birds as she said.
BUT I have great friends at my local tractor supply store and she is very knowledgeable in wounds with ducks and chickens. She had suggested that I draw some fluid/ infection out of the the swollen area first and if it I get fluid then I'll need to open it up and get the infection out, wash it and put liquid band aid on it after i pack the wound so that the area can still breath but yet keep it clean. She told me if I needed to she will look at lue lue sat...... soooooooo that's what I'm gonna try tomorrow. I got something to help her with the pain to... what do you think?

Hey Miss Lydia
Well I thought I had a vet but it will be my last resort. My vet will not treat exotic birds as she said.
BUT I have great friends at my local tractor supply store and she is very knowledgeable in wounds with ducks and chickens. She had suggested that I draw some fluid/ infection out of the the swollen area first and if it I get fluid then I'll need to open it up and get the infection out, wash it and put liquid band aid on it after i pack the wound so that the area can still breath but yet keep it clean. She told me if I needed to she will look at lue lue sat...... soooooooo that's what I'm gonna try tomorrow. I got something to help her with the pain to... what do you think?
Well 1st know that their infection doesn’t just draw out. It’s more like a cottage cheese consistency. If you make a small cut, you would have to more then likely squeeze it like a pimple, which will be extremely painful for them. If you do draw out fluid, like clear fluid, it would probably be joint fluid. Once you cut and remove some of the infection please know that she will bleed a lot. Pack it good with neosporine and wrap it good. You are going to want to make the bleeding stop so wrap it tight but not too tight that it cuts off circulation to the area and let it be for a good 24 hours. Following that you are going to want to soak it every day for weeks to come. Wrapping it after each soak.
I am not trying to scare you I just want you to know what can happen. Just make sure you have everything laid out and ready to use. You will need vet wrap and good premium cotton balls.

Back
Top Bottom