limping pullet, otherwise healthy *update: now with peeling skin*

My br is having the same issue with limping. Just checked her foot and it looks totally fine. She usually won't let me touch her, but she let me take a good at her foot/leg tonight. She's up on the roost so it must be not so painful as i would think she would be in the nesting box if it really hurt bad. I think she jumped down one am from the roost to the coop floor and hurt it in some way. She's trying to sit on the roost with 1 foot all the way on and lifting the other. Anything i can do? Asprin?

Quote:
Hmmm, that's got me thinking bumblefoot again, the dark spots I mean. Hope your vet friend can help ya.
fl.gif

Quote:
That comb and the way the "shoulders" aka wing bows are feathering. Just a guess at this point, but.....
hide.gif

Quote:
the (temporary) coop they are in now is a dog house as the main coop is getting a huge overhaul. there's not that much room in it to begin with, and i don't think i can even get the little crate through the door. hopefully the renovation will be done this weekend and then she can go in with the flock.

Quote:
that's what i started thinking, but it's not just one spot. as you can see in the picture, it's LOTS of spots. can bumblefoot look like that?

Yes, there can be more than one spot of the staph infection (bumblefoot) on the same foot.

Quote:
damn... ok, none of the spots are raised like scabs and the foot doesn't seem swollen. i just read that the early stages of bumblefoot could be like that. is there a treatment that you know of for that stage that isn't antibiotics? we're trying to stay as organic as possible, so if i can treat without meds i'd rather.

i'm going to try soaking it in epsom salt tomorrow.

as always, you are a great help gritsar.

today she seems to be walking much better. still a big limp, but she is actually setting the foot down when she's standing still, which she hadn't been doing before today. the dark spots on her foot haven't changed, but i'm still watching them closely.

i did notice today, however, that her bad foot is peeling. it's not severe, but it's a new development. unfortunantly, my vet friend has come down with the flu so she can't come out to check her. i'm worrying less though as she seems to be making a lot of progress.

Glad your girl seems to be doing better!

You won't believe this but today I noticed that Phoenix's foot (since it's a boy he can't remain named Faith!), the one he had a limp on, has patches of dry skin peeling off in small flakes, specially between the toes.

What is going on??
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom